Service Users' and Caregivers' Perspectives on Continuity of Care in Out-of-Hours Primary Care.
Murphy, Andrew W
Freeman, George K
Glynn, Liam G
Bradley, Colin P
Affiliation1National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationService Users' and Caregivers' Perspectives on Continuity of Care in Out-of-Hours Primary Care. 2012: Qual Health Res
JournalQualitative health research
AbstractModernization policies in primary care, such as the introduction of out-of-hours general practice cooperatives, signify a marked departure from many service users' traditional experiences of continuity of care. We report on a case study of accounts of service users with chronic conditions and their caregivers of continuity of care in an out-of-hours general practice cooperative in Ireland. Using Strauss and colleagues' Chronic Illness Trajectory Framework, we explored users' and caregivers' experiences of continuity in this context. Whereas those dealing with "routine trajectories" were largely satisfied with their experiences, those dealing with "problematic trajectories" (characterized by the presence of, for example, multimorbidity and complex care regimes) had considerable concerns about continuity of experiences in this service. Results highlight that modernization policies that have given rise to out-of-hours cooperatives have had a differential impact on service users with chronic conditions and their caregivers, with serious consequences for those who have "problematic" trajectories.
- Improving mental health service users' with medical co-morbidity transition between tertiary medical hospital and primary care services: a qualitative study.
- Authors: Cranwell K, Polacsek M, McCann TV
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 26
- Telephone survey of service-user experiences of a telephone-based mental health triage service.
- Authors: Elsom S, Sands N, Roper C, Hoppner C, Gerdtz M
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Streamline triage and manage user expectations: lessons from a qualitative study of GP out-of-hours services.
- Authors: Egbunike JN, Shaw C, Porter A, Button LA, Kinnersley P, Hood K, Bowden S, Bale S, Snooks H, Edwards A
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Follow-up after telephone consultations at out-of-hours primary care.
- Authors: Huibers L, Koetsenruijter J, Grol R, Giesen P, Wensing M
- Issue date: 2013 Jul-Aug
- Discontinuity of care at end of life: a qualitative exploration of OOH end of life care.
- Authors: Leydon GM, Shergill NK, Campion-Smith C, Austin H, Eyles C, Baverstock J, Addington-Hall J, Sloan R, Davis C, Moore MV
- Issue date: 2013 Dec