Susceptibility of pregnant women to toxoplasma infection--potential benefits for newborn screening.
AffiliationThe Rotunda Hospital, Parnell Street, Dublin. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSusceptibility of pregnant women to toxoplasma infection--potential benefits for newborn screening., 101 (7):220-1 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractCongenital toxoplasmosis (CT) arises as a result of new acquisition of Toxoplasma infection by a susceptible woman during pregnancy. Early detection of CT through neonatal screening programmes could optimize management and improve infant outcome. This study sought to estimate the prevalence of Toxoplasma susceptibility in pregnant women. As detection of Toxoplasma antibodies in neonatal blood reflects maternal exposure history, maternal antibody seroprevalence was determined using anonymized residual blood from newborn screening cards. A total of 20,252 cards were tested in 1 year. 4,991 (24.6%) cards tested positive for Toxoplasma antibody. Results were stratified by county. Toxoplasma antibody seroprevalence rates of 25% indicated that Toxoplasma infection is common in Ireland and that up to 75% of women remain susceptible to primary infection during pregnancy. This study aimed to a) determine the seroprevalence of Toxoplasma antibody in pregnant women, and hence b) estimate the risk for acquisition of primary toxoplasmosis in pregnancy in order to support an application to fund a pilot newborn screening programme.
- Control of congenital infection with Toxoplasma gondii by neonatal screening based on detection of specific immunoglobulin M antibodies eluted from phenylketonuria filter-paper blood-spot samples.
- Authors: Petersen E, Eaton RB
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Congenital toxoplasmosis: a large survey in western Australia.
- Authors: Walpole IR, Hodgen N, Bower C
- Issue date: 1991 Jun 3
- Cord blood screening for congenital toxoplasmosis in northwestern Switzerland, 1982-1999.
- Authors: Signorell LM, Seitz D, Merkel S, Berger R, Rudin C
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Congenital toxoplasmosis: late pregnancy infections detected by neonatal screening and maternal serological testing at delivery.
- Authors: Lago EG, Neto EC, Melamed J, Rucks AP, Presotto C, Coelho JC, Parise C, Vargas PR, Goldbeck AS, Fiori RM
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Clinical validation of a western blot assay for congenital toxoplasmosis and newborn screening in a hospital in Armenia (Quindio) Colombia.
- Authors: Gallego-Marín C, Henao AC, Gómez-Marín JE
- Issue date: 2006 Apr