Oxygen Inhalation Therapy
Physician's Practice Patterns
Practice Guidelines as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSurvey of the management of acute asthma in children., 102 (10):341-2 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish medical journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractAcute asthma is one of the most common reasons for children presenting to the emergency department. International guidelines for the management of acute paediatric asthma are widely available. In this study we examined how acute asthma in children is managed across hospitals in Ireland and compared Irish practice with standard international guidelines. We surveyed 54 paediatricians across 18 centres in Ireland. A total of 30 (55.5%) individual paediatricians across 17 (94%) centres replied. The majority of centres had a written protocol for the management of acute asthma. A large number of centres use MDI and spacer devices in acute management although doses used varied widely. Only 29% of centres had written asthma action plans available from the emergency department and 53% had plans available from the ward. Irish practice is largely inline with established guidelines. A national asthma strategy could further help to improve asthma care.
- Paediatric acute asthma management in Australia and New Zealand: practice patterns in the context of clinical practice guidelines.
- Authors: Babl FE, Sheriff N, Borland M, Acworth J, Neutze J, Krieser D, Ngo P, Schutz J, Thomson F, Cotterell E, Jamison S, Francis P
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Application of asthma action plans to childhood asthma: a national survey.
- Authors: Garrett J, Williams S, Wong C, Holdaway D
- Issue date: 1997 Aug 22
- Application of asthma action plans to childhood asthma: national survey repeated.
- Authors: McNally AJ, Frampton C, Garrett J, Pattemore P
- Issue date: 2004 Jun 18
- Self-reported physician practices for children with asthma: are national guidelines followed?
- Authors: Finkelstein JA, Lozano P, Shulruff R, Inui TS, Soumerai SB, Ng M, Weiss KB
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Knowledge of pediatricians in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, about inhalation therapy in asthmatic children.
- Authors: Cunha AJ, Santos MA, Galvão MG, Ibiapina AA
- Issue date: 2003 Mar-Apr