Exercise and manual physiotherapy arthritis research trial (EMPART): a multicentre randomised controlled trial.
AuthorsFrench, Helen P
McCarthy, Geraldine M
AffiliationSchool of Physiotherapy, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 123 St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Severity of Illness Index
MetadataShow full item record
CitationExercise and manual physiotherapy arthritis research trial (EMPART): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. 2009, 10:9 BMC Musculoskelet Disord
PublisherBMC musculoskeletal disorders
JournalBMC musculoskeletal disorders
AbstractOsteoarthritis (OA) of the hip is a major cause of functional disability and reduced quality of life. Management options aim to reduce pain and improve or maintain physical functioning. Current evidence indicates that therapeutic exercise has a beneficial but short-term effect on pain and disability, with poor long-term benefit. The optimal content, duration and type of exercise are yet to be ascertained. There has been little scientific investigation into the effectiveness of manual therapy in hip OA. Only one randomized controlled trial (RCT) found greater improvements in patient-perceived improvement and physical function with manual therapy, compared to exercise therapy.
- Exercise and manual physiotherapy arthritis research trial (EMPART) for osteoarthritis of the hip: a multicenter randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: French HP, Cusack T, Brennan A, Caffrey A, Conroy R, Cuddy V, FitzGerald OM, Fitzpatrick M, Gilsenan C, Kane D, O'Connell PG, White B, McCarthy GM
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Manual therapy, exercise therapy, or both, in addition to usual care, for osteoarthritis of the hip or knee: a randomized controlled trial. 1: clinical effectiveness.
- Authors: Abbott JH, Robertson MC, Chapple C, Pinto D, Wright AA, Leon de la Barra S, Baxter GD, Theis JC, Campbell AJ, MOA Trial team.
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Predictors of short-term outcome to exercise and manual therapy for people with hip osteoarthritis.
- Authors: French HP, Galvin R, Cusack T, McCarthy GM
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Exercise therapy, manual therapy, or both, for osteoarthritis of the hip or knee: a factorial randomised controlled trial protocol.
- Authors: Abbott JH, Robertson MC, McKenzie JE, Baxter GD, Theis JC, Campbell AJ, MOA Trial team.
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 8
- Efficacy of conservative treatment regimes for hip osteoarthritis--evaluation of the therapeutic exercise regime "Hip School": a protocol for a randomised, controlled trial.
- Authors: Krauss I, Steinhilber B, Haupt G, Miller R, Grau S, Janssen P
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 24