Garland, Malcolm R
AffiliationMD, MRCPsych, PhD, Centre for Mental Health Care and Recovery, Bantry General Hospital, Bantry, Co Cork, Ireland. Pat.Bracken@hse.ie.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPsychiatry beyond the current paradigm. 2012, 201:430-4 Br J Psychiatry
JournalThe British journal of psychiatry : the journal of mental science
AbstractA series of editorials in this Journal have argued that psychiatry is in the midst of a crisis. The various solutions proposed would all involve a strengthening of psychiatry's identity as essentially 'applied neuroscience'. Although not discounting the importance of the brain sciences and psychopharmacology, we argue that psychiatry needs to move beyond the dominance of the current, technological paradigm. This would be more in keeping with the evidence about how positive outcomes are achieved and could also serve to foster more meaningful collaboration with the growing service user movement.
- Psychiatry's identity crisis: a critical rational remedy.
- Authors: Manschreck TC, Kleinman AM
- Issue date: 1979 Jul
- American psychiatry's fundamental policy is to foster the patient's good.
- Authors: Ruben HL
- Issue date: 1986 May
- Psychiatry under pressure: reflections on psychiatry's drift towards a reductionist biomedical conception of mental illness.
- Authors: Nys TR, Nys MG
- Issue date: 2006
- Time to change psychiatry's frame of reference for risk?
- Authors: Bartlett A
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 19
- The domains of psychiatric practice: from centre to periphery.
- Authors: Béhague DP
- Issue date: 2008 Jun