Severe bone demineralisation is associated with higher mortality in children with cystic fibrosis.
AffiliationCystic Fibrosis Department, National Children's Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin. firstname.lastname@example.org
Adrenal Cortex Hormones
Body Mass Index
Bone Demineralization, Pathologic
Forced Expiratory Volume
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSevere bone demineralisation is associated with higher mortality in children with cystic fibrosis. 2009, 102 (2):47-9 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish medical journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractDecreased bone mineral density (BMD) is an emerging problem for clinicians who care for children with Cystic fibrosis (CF). The aim of this study was to determine prevalence and assess risk factors for reduced BMD in our adolescent population with CF. All bone densitometry scans (n=99) performed on children (n=79) with a mean age 13.6 (10-19.2) years over a 7 year period (2000-2007) were reviewed. Patient records were reviewed for correlating clinical data. Low BMD is frequently present in adults and children with variable reports (36-66%). In our study, BMD expressed as z score of L2-L4 spine was reduced in a total of 50% children with a preponderance of males. Bone demineralization was strongly associated with increasing age (p=0.03), diminished lung function (p=0.027), reduced body mass index (p=0.001) and treatment with oral corticosteroids (p=0.02).
- [Bone mass in patients with cystic fibrosis of the pancreas. Relationship with anthropometric parameters and genotype].
- Authors: Yeste D, Liñán S, Cobos N, Gussinyé M, del Río L, Carrascosa A
- Issue date: 1998 Oct 24
- Bone mass density and associated factors in cystic fibrosis patients of young age.
- Authors: Douros K, Loukou I, Nicolaidou P, Tzonou A, Doudounakis S
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Is significant cystic fibrosis-related liver disease a risk factor in the development of bone mineralization abnormalities?
- Authors: Alex G, Catto-Smith AG, Ditchfield M, Roseby R, Robinson PJ, Cameron FJ, Oliver MR
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- [High prevalence of osteoporosis in adult cystic fibrosis patients].
- Authors: Lang SM, Fischer R, Stratakis DF, Huber RM
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 9
- A cross-sectional study of bone mineral density in children and adolescents attending a Cystic Fibrosis Centre.
- Authors: Conway SP, Oldroyd B, Brownlee KG, Wolfe SP, Truscott JG
- Issue date: 2008 Nov