Access full-text PDFOpen Access
Check access options
Check access options
AffiliationMRC Centre for Neuromuscular Diseases, Department of Molecular Neuroscience, UCL Institute of Neurology and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
Evoked Potentials, Motor
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHand weakness in Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease 1X. 2012, 22 (7):622-6 Neuromuscul. Disord.
PublisherNeuromuscular disorders : NMD
JournalNeuromuscular disorders : NMD
AbstractThere have been suggestions from previous studies that patients with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT) have weaker dominant hand muscles. Since all studies to date have included a heterogeneous group of CMT patients we decided to analyse hand strength in 43 patients with CMT1X. We recorded handedness and the MRC scores for the first dorsal interosseous and abductor pollicis brevis muscles, median and ulnar nerve compound motor action potentials and conduction velocities in dominant and non-dominant hands. Twenty-two CMT1X patients (51%) had a weaker dominant hand; none had a stronger dominant hand. Mean MRC scores were significantly higher for first dorsal interosseous and abductor pollicis brevis in non-dominant hands compared to dominant hands. Median nerve compound motor action potentials were significantly reduced in dominant compared to non-dominant hands. We conclude that the dominant hand is weaker than the non-dominant hand in patients with CMT1X.
Item TypeArticle In Press
- Is overwork weakness relevant in Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease?
- Authors: Piscosquito G, Reilly MM, Schenone A, Fabrizi GM, Cavallaro T, Santoro L, Vita G, Quattrone A, Padua L, Gemignani F, Visioli F, Laurà M, Calabrese D, Hughes RA, Radice D, Solari A, Pareyson D, CMT-TRIAAL & CMT-TRAUK Group
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Overwork weakness in Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.
- Authors: Vinci P, Esposito C, Perelli SL, Antenor JA, Thomas FP
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- The hypothesis of overwork weakness in Charcot-Marie-Tooth: a critical evaluation.
- Authors: van Pomeren M, Selles RW, van Ginneken BT, Schreuders TA, Janssen WG, Stam HJ
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Intermediate Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease: an electrophysiological reappraisal and systematic review.
- Authors: Berciano J, García A, Gallardo E, Peeters K, Pelayo-Negro AL, Álvarez-Paradelo S, Gazulla J, Martínez-Tames M, Infante J, Jordanova A
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- The natural history of Charcot-Marie-Tooth type 1A in adults: a 5-year follow-up study.
- Authors: Verhamme C, van Schaik IN, Koelman JH, de Haan RJ, de Visser M
- Issue date: 2009 Dec