Adipophilin distribution and colocalization with lipid droplets in skeletal muscle.
AffiliationExercise Metabolism Research Group, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
Muscle Fibers, Skeletal
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAdipophilin distribution and colocalization with lipid droplets in skeletal muscle. 2009, 131 (5):575-81 Histochem. Cell Biol.
PublisherHistochemistry and cell biology
JournalHistochemistry and cell biology
AbstractIntramyocellular lipids (IMCL) are stored as discrete lipid droplets which are associated with a number of proteins. The lipid droplet-associated protein adipophilin (the human orthologue of adipose differentiation-related protein) is ubiquitously expressed and is one of the predominant lipid droplet-proteins in skeletal muscle. The aim of this study was to investigate the subcellular distribution of adipophilin in human muscle fibres and to measure the colocalization of adipophilin with IMCL. Muscle biopsies from six lean male cyclists (BMI 23.4 +/- 0.4, aged 31 +/- 2 years, W (max) 346 +/- 8) were stained for myosin heavy chain type 1, IMCL, adipophilin and mitochondria using immunofluorescence and viewed with widefield and confocal fluorescence microscopy. The present study shows that like IMCL, the adipophilin content is ~twofold greater in type I skeletal muscle fibres and is situated in the areas between the mitochondrial network. Colocalization analysis demonstrated that 61 +/- 2% of IMCL contain adipophilin. Although the majority of adipophilin is contained within IMCL, 36 +/- 4% of adipophilin is not associated with IMCL. In conclusion, this study indicates that the IMCL pool is heterogeneous, as the majority but not all IMCL contain adipophilin.
- S3-12, Adipophilin, and TIP47 package lipid in adipocytes.
- Authors: Wolins NE, Quaynor BK, Skinner JR, Schoenfish MJ, Tzekov A, Bickel PE
- Issue date: 2005 May 13
- Network distribution of mitochondria and lipid droplets in human muscle fibres.
- Authors: Shaw CS, Jones DA, Wagenmakers AJ
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Adipocyte differentiation-related protein and OXPAT in rat and human skeletal muscle: involvement in lipid accumulation and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Minnaard R, Schrauwen P, Schaart G, Jorgensen JA, Lenaers E, Mensink M, Hesselink MK
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Overexpression of PLIN5 in skeletal muscle promotes oxidative gene expression and intramyocellular lipid content without compromising insulin sensitivity.
- Authors: Bosma M, Sparks LM, Hooiveld GJ, Jorgensen JA, Houten SM, Schrauwen P, Kersten S, Hesselink MK
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Myofibrillar distribution of succinate dehydrogenase activity and lipid stores differs in skeletal muscle tissue of paraplegic subjects.
- Authors: Jonkers RA, Dirks ML, Nabuurs CI, De Feyter HM, Praet SF, Nicolay K, van Loon LJ, Prompers JJ
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 1