ACTH deficiency, higher doses of hydrocortisone replacement, and radiotherapy are independent predictors of mortality in patients with acromegaly.
Reulen, R C
Alonso, A Aragon
Clayton, R N
Sheppard, M C
Hawkins, M M
Bates, A S
Stewart, P M
AffiliationCentre for Endocrinology, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TH, United Kingdom.
Cause of Death
Hormone Replacement Therapy
Predictive Value of Tests
Respiratory Tract Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
CitationACTH deficiency, higher doses of hydrocortisone replacement, and radiotherapy are independent predictors of mortality in patients with acromegaly. 2009, 94 (11):4216-23 J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab.
JournalThe Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism
AbstractA number of retrospective studies report that patients with acromegaly have increased morbidity and premature mortality, with standardized mortality ratios (SMR) of 1.3-3. Many patients with acromegaly develop hypopituitarism as a result of the pituitary adenoma itself or therapies such as surgery and radiotherapy. Pituitary radiotherapy and hypopituitarism have also been associated with an increased SMR.
- ACTH and gonadotropin deficiencies predict mortality in patients treated for nonfunctioning pituitary adenoma: long-term follow-up of 519 patients in two large European centres.
- Authors: O'Reilly MW, Reulen RC, Gupta S, Thompson CA, Dineen R, Goulden EL, Bugg G, Pearce H, Toogood AA, Gittoes NJ, Mitchell R, Thompson CJ, Ayuk J
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Acute effect of increasing glucocorticoid replacement dose on cardiovascular risk and insulin sensitivity in patients with adrenocorticotrophin deficiency.
- Authors: Petersons CJ, Mangelsdorf BL, Thompson CH, Burt MG
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Mortality in patients with pituitary disease.
- Authors: Sherlock M, Ayuk J, Tomlinson JW, Toogood AA, Aragon-Alonso A, Sheppard MC, Bates AS, Stewart PM
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Growth hormone and pituitary radiotherapy, but not serum insulin-like growth factor-I concentrations, predict excess mortality in patients with acromegaly.
- Authors: Ayuk J, Clayton RN, Holder G, Sheppard MC, Stewart PM, Bates AS
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Conventional glucocorticoid replacement overtreats adult hypopituitary patients with partial ACTH deficiency.
- Authors: Agha A, Liew A, Finucane F, Baker L, O'Kelly P, Tormey W, Thompson CJ
- Issue date: 2004 Jun