Atrial fibrillation in a primary care population: how close to NICE guidelines are we?
AffiliationSouth West Cardiothoracic Centre, Department of Cardiology, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth. email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
Practice Guidelines as Topic
Primary Health Care
Referral and Consultation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAtrial fibrillation in a primary care population: how close to NICE guidelines are we? 2009, 9 (3):219-23 Clin Med
PublisherClinical medicine (London, England)
JournalClinical medicine (London, England)
AbstractThe National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation were published in June 2006. It was anticipated that they would potentially lead to increased demand for echocardiography (ECHO), increased access to secondary care services (for example for cardioversion), and require additional resources for monitoring anticoagulation. A primary care survey was therefore initiated in South Devon, in advance of publication of the guidelines as a snapshot of existing practice, to determine any additional resources and education required to meet the new standards. The main aim was to determine what proportion of patients were managed exclusively in primary care, how frequently patients were investigated by ECHO and whether anticoagulation was being appropriately targeted at patients at high risk of thromboembolic events.
- Can the NICE guidelines on the management of atrial fibrillation improve its management?
- Authors: Khoo CW, Lip GY
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Atrial fibrillation in New Zealand primary care: Prevalence, risk factors for stroke and the management of thromboembolic risk.
- Authors: Tomlin AM, Lloyd HS, Tilyard MW
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- [Patients' characteristics and clinical management of atrial fibrillation in primary healthcare in Spain: FIATE Study].
- Authors: Lobos-Bejarano JM, del Castillo-Rodríguez JC, Mena-González A, Alemán-Sánchez JJ, Cabrera de León A, Barón-Esquivias G, Pastor-Fuentes A, en nombre de los Investigadores del Estudio FIATE (Situación actual de la FIbrilación auricular en ATención primaria en España).
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 5
- Discrepancy between guidelines for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation and practice patterns in primary care. The nationwide French AFIGP survey.
- Authors: Sabouret P, Bricard M, Hermann MA, Cotté FE, Deret-Bixio L, Rushton-Smith S
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- The use of anticoagulants in the management of atrial fibrillation among general practices in England.
- Authors: Cowan C, Healicon R, Robson I, Long WR, Barrett J, Fay M, Tyndall K, Gale CP
- Issue date: 2013 Aug