Transesophageal Echocardiographically-Confirmed Pulmonary Vein Thrombosis in Association with Posterior Circulation Infarction.
AuthorsKinsella, Justin A
Maccarthy, Allan J
Kiernan, Thomas J
Moore, David P
McDermott, Raymond S
McCabe, Dominick J H
AffiliationDepartment of Neurology, The Adelaide and Meath Hospital, incorporating the National Children's Hospital, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTransesophageal Echocardiographically-Confirmed Pulmonary Vein Thrombosis in Association with Posterior Circulation Infarction. 2010, 2 (1):24-31 Case Rep Neurol
PublisherCase reports in neurology
JournalCase reports in neurology
AbstractPulmonary venous thromboembolism has only been identified as a cause of stroke with pulmonary arteriovenous malformations/fistulae, pulmonary neoplasia, transplantation or lobectomy, and following percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of pulmonary vein ostia in patients with atrial fibrillation. A 59-year-old man presented with a posterior circulation ischemic stroke. 'Unheralded' pulmonary vein thrombosis was identified on transesophageal echocardiography as the likely etiology. He had no further cerebrovascular events after intensifying antithrombotic therapy. Twenty-eight months after initial presentation, he was diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma and died 3 months later. This report illustrates the importance of doing transesophageal echocardiography in presumed 'cardioembolic' stroke, and that potential 'pulmonary venous thromboembolic' stroke may occur in patients without traditional risk factors for venous thromboembolism. Consideration should be given to screening such patients for occult malignancy.
- Pulmonary vein stenosis complicating catheter ablation of focal atrial fibrillation.
- Authors: Scanavacca MI, Kajita LJ, Vieira M, Sosa EA
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Recurrent Stroke Due to Pulmonary Vein Thrombosis in a Patient with Metastatic Lung Adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Aldiwani H, Ahmed A, Kumar K, Shokr M, Cardozo S
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 26
- [Role of transesophageal echography in the study of embolism of cardiac origin].
- Authors: Arrigo F, Carerj S, Pizzimenti G
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Frequency of deep vein thrombosis in patients with patent foramen ovale and ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack.
- Authors: Lethen H, Flachskampf FA, Schneider R, Sliwka U, Köhn G, Noth J, Hanrath P
- Issue date: 1997 Oct 15
- Transesophageal echocardiographic findings in patients with anterior and posterior circulation infarcts.
- Authors: Mendel T, Pasierski T, Szwed H, Barańska-Gieruszczak M, Członkowska A
- Issue date: 1998 Jan