Dyslipidemia therapy update: the importance of full lipid profile assessment.
AffiliationCraigavon Cardiac Centre, Craigavon BT63 5QQ, Northern Ireland, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
Practice Guidelines as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDyslipidemia therapy update: the importance of full lipid profile assessment. 2009, 26 (7):711-8 Adv Ther
PublisherAdvances in therapy
JournalAdvances in therapy
AbstractLipid guidelines typically focus on total cholesterol +/- low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels with less emphasis on high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) or triglyceride assessment, thus potentially underestimating cardiovascular (CV) risk and the need for lifestyle or treatment optimization. In this article, we highlight how reliance on isolated total cholesterol assessment may miss prognostically relevant lipid abnormalities; we describe from the European Systematic COronary Risk Evaluation (SCORE) data set how incorporation of HDL-C may improve estimation of CV risk; and, finally, we critically evaluate the evidence base surrounding triglycerides and CV risk.
- Mixed dyslipidemia among patients using lipid-lowering therapy in French general practice: an observational study.
- Authors: Van Ganse E, Laforest L, Burke T, Phatak H, Souchet T
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Pathogenesis and management of the dyslipidemia of the metabolic syndrome.
- Authors: Raal FJ
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Patient knowledge of coronary risk profile improves the effectiveness of dyslipidemia therapy: the CHECK-UP study: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Grover SA, Lowensteyn I, Joseph L, Kaouache M, Marchand S, Coupal L, Boudreau G, Cardiovascular Health Evaluation to Improve Compliance and Knowledge Among Uninformed Patients (CHECK-UP) Study Group.
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 26
- [Treatment of dyslipidemia in clinical practice].
- Authors: Paragh G, Harangi M
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 5
- Gender differences in the lipid profile of dyslipidemic subjects.
- Authors: Kolovou GD, Anagnostopoulou KK, Damaskos DS, Bilianou HI, Mihas C, Milionis HJ, Kostakou PM, Cokkinos DV
- Issue date: 2009 Mar