AffiliationDepartment of Cardiology, Adelaide Meath Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin, 24, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAssessment of cardiovascular risk. 2010, 12 (5):384-93 Curr. Hypertens. Rep.
PublisherCurrent hypertension reports
JournalCurrent hypertension reports
AbstractAtherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the most common cause of death worldwide. Usually atherosclerosis is caused by the combined effects of multiple risk factors. For this reason, most guidelines on the prevention of CVD stress the assessment of total CVD risk. The most intensive risk factor modification can then be directed towards the individuals who will derive the greatest benefit. To assist the clinician in calculating the effects of these multiple interacting risk factors, a number of risk estimation systems have been developed. This review address several issues regarding total CVD risk assessment: Why should total CVD risk be assessed? What risk estimation systems are available? How well do these systems estimate risk? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the current systems? What are the current limitations of risk estimation systems and how can they be resolved? What new developments have occurred in CVD risk estimation?
- Value and limitations of existing scores for the assessment of cardiovascular risk: a review for clinicians.
- Authors: Cooney MT, Dudina AL, Graham IM
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 29
- [Global risk and objectives in cardiovascular diseases].
- Authors: Güleç S
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Smoking and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in women with lower levels of serum cholesterol.
- Authors: Jee SH, Park J, Jo I, Lee J, Yun S, Yun JE, Jang Y
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Assessment of diet quality improves the classification ability of cardiovascular risk score in predicting future events: The 10-year follow-up of the ATTICA study (2002-2012).
- Authors: Georgousopoulou EN, Panagiotakos DB, Pitsavos C, Stefanadis C, ATTICA study group.
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Sex differences in cardiovascular risk factors and disease prevention.
- Authors: Appelman Y, van Rijn BB, Ten Haaf ME, Boersma E, Peters SA
- Issue date: 2015 Jul