AffiliationDepartment of Cardiology, Adelaide Meath Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin, 24, Ireland. email@example.com
Guidelines as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAssessment of cardiovascular risk. 2010, 12 (5):384-93 Curr. Hypertens. Rep.
PublisherCurrent hypertension reports
JournalCurrent hypertension reports
AbstractAtherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the most common cause of death worldwide. Usually atherosclerosis is caused by the combined effects of multiple risk factors. For this reason, most guidelines on the prevention of CVD stress the assessment of total CVD risk. The most intensive risk factor modification can then be directed towards the individuals who will derive the greatest benefit. To assist the clinician in calculating the effects of these multiple interacting risk factors, a number of risk estimation systems have been developed. This review address several issues regarding total CVD risk assessment: Why should total CVD risk be assessed? What risk estimation systems are available? How well do these systems estimate risk? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the current systems? What are the current limitations of risk estimation systems and how can they be resolved? What new developments have occurred in CVD risk estimation?
- Total cholesterol/HDL-cholesterol ratio discordance with LDL-cholesterol and non-HDL-cholesterol and incidence of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in primary prevention: The ARIC study.
- Authors: Quispe R, Elshazly MB, Zhao D, Toth PP, Puri R, Virani SS, Blumenthal RS, Martin SS, Jones SR, Michos ED
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Value and limitations of existing scores for the assessment of cardiovascular risk: a review for clinicians.
- Authors: Cooney MT, Dudina AL, Graham IM
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 29
- Incidence of cardiovascular disease and its associated risk factors in at-risk men and women in the United Arab Emirates: a 9-year retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Al-Shamsi S, Regmi D, Govender RD
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 17
- [Global risk and objectives in cardiovascular diseases].
- Authors: Güleç S
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Smoking and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in women with lower levels of serum cholesterol.
- Authors: Jee SH, Park J, Jo I, Lee J, Yun S, Yun JE, Jang Y
- Issue date: 2007 Feb