Obesity in Ireland in 2008: what radiological equipment is available to image the obese patient?
AffiliationWeight Management Service and Department of Radiology, St Columcille's Hospital, Loughlinstown, Co Dublin. email@example.com
MeSHBody Mass Index
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationObesity in Ireland in 2008: what radiological equipment is available to image the obese patient? 2009, 102 (4):116-7 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish medical journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractObesity is a global epidemic, responsible for 2000 premature deaths in Ireland each year. The extent of this epidemic was quantified by the National Taskforce on Obesity (IOTF), whose report, published in 2005, found that 39% of adults in Ireland were overweight and 18% obese with obesity in adults predicted to increase by 1% per year. In light of the clear evidence that we, as a nation, are quite literally expanding, how well equipped are Irish hospitals and, in particular, radiology departments, to deal with patients of increasing size and weight? The purpose of this study was to quantify the weight limits and girth restrictions of the radiology equipment, in particular CT, MRI and fluoroscopy, in hospitals, both public and private, in Ireland in an attempt to answer this question.
- Imaging obese patients: problems and solutions.
- Authors: Carucci LR
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Childhood obesity: the extent of the problem among 6-year-old Irish national school children.
- Authors: Evans DS, Glacken M, Goggin D
- Issue date: 2011 May
- European obesity and the radiology department. What can we do to help?
- Authors: Buckley O, Ward E, Ryan A, Colin W, Snow A, Torreggiani WC
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- The prevalence and trends in overweight and obesity in Irish adults between 1990 and 2011.
- Authors: Boylan EA, McNulty BA, Walton J, Flynn A, Nugent AP, Gibney MJ
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity on the island of Ireland: results from the North South Survey of Children's Height, Weight and Body Mass Index, 2002.
- Authors: Whelton H, Harrington J, Crowley E, Kelleher V, Cronin M, Perry IJ
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 31