Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) deficiency presenting as a rash.
AffiliationNational Centre for Inherited Metabolic Disorders, Children's University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase (NADPH2)
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMethylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) deficiency presenting as a rash. 2012, 158A (9):2254-7 Am. J. Med. Genet. A
JournalAmerican journal of medical genetics. Part A
AbstractWe report on the case of a 2-year-old girl recently diagnosed with Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) deficiency who originally presented in the neonatal period with a distinctive rash. At 11 weeks of age she developed seizures, she had acquired microcephaly and developmental delay. The rash deteriorated dramatically following commencement of phenobarbitone; both rash and seizures abated following empiric introduction of pyridoxine and folinic acid as treatment of possible vitamin responsive seizures. We postulate that phenobarbitone in combination with MTHFR deficiency may have caused her rash to deteriorate and subsequent folinic acid was helpful in treating the rash and preventing further acute neurological decline as commonly associated with this condition.
- Severe methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) deficiency: a case report of nonclassical homocystinuria.
- Authors: Bishop L, Kanoff R, Charnas L, Krenzel C, Berry SA, Schimmenti LA
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Severe scoliosis in a patient with severe methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency.
- Authors: Munoz T, Patel J, Badilla-Porras R, Kronick J, Mercimek-Mahmutoglu S
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Anesthesia for cesarean section in a patient with placenta previa and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency.
- Authors: Gerges FJ, Dalal AR, Robelen GT, Cooper B, Bayer LA
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) deficiency and infantile epilepsy.
- Authors: Prasad AN, Rupar CA, Prasad C
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Survival and psychomotor development with early betaine treatment in patients with severe methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency.
- Authors: Diekman EF, de Koning TJ, Verhoeven-Duif NM, Rovers MM, van Hasselt PM
- Issue date: 2014 Feb