Laparoscopic colonic resection in inflammatory bowel disease: minimal surgery, minimal access and minimal hospital stay.
AffiliationDivision of Colorectal Surgery, Minimally Invasive Surgery Tallaght, Adelaide, Ireland.
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
Length of Stay
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLaparoscopic colonic resection in inflammatory bowel disease: minimal surgery, minimal access and minimal hospital stay. 2008, 10 (9):911-5 Colorectal Dis
JournalColorectal disease : the official journal of the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
AbstractLaparoscopic surgery for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is technically demanding but can offer improved short-term outcomes. The introduction of minimally invasive surgery (MIS) as the default operative approach for IBD, however, may have inherent learning curve-associated disadvantages. We hypothesise that the establishment of MIS as the standard operative approach does not increase patient morbidity as assessed in the initial period of its introduction into a specialised unit, and that it confers earlier postoperative gastrointestinal recovery and reduced hospitalisation compared with conventional open resection.
- Laparoscopic-assisted bowel resections in inflammatory bowel disease: state of the art.
- Authors: Bemelman WA, van Hogezand RA, Meijerink WJ, Griffioen G, Ringers J
- Issue date: 1998 Dec
- Laparoscopic-assisted colon and rectal surgery - lessons learnt from early experience.
- Authors: Koh DC, Wong KS, Sim R, Ng YP, Hu ZQ, Cheong DM, Foo A
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Laparoscopic assisted colectomy: experience from a rural centre.
- Authors: Guo DY, Eteuati J, Nguyen MH, Lloyd D, Ragg JL
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Laparoscopic colon surgery: does operative time matter?
- Authors: Scheer A, Martel G, Moloo H, Sabri E, Poulin EC, Mamazza J, Boushey RP
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Laparoscopic subtotal colectomy for acute or severe colitis complicating inflammatory bowel disease: a case-matched study in 88 patients.
- Authors: Marceau C, Alves A, Ouaissi M, Bouhnik Y, Valleur P, Panis Y
- Issue date: 2007 May