Role of volume rendered 3-D computed tomography in conservative management of trauma-related thoracic injuries.
AffiliationDepartment of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cork University Hospital. Olearypeter83@hotmail.com
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRole of volume rendered 3-D computed tomography in conservative management of trauma-related thoracic injuries. 2012, 27 (5):W102-4 J Thorac Imaging
JournalJournal of thoracic imaging
AbstractPneumatic nail guns are a tool used commonly in the construction industry and are widely available. Accidental injuries from nail guns are common, and several cases of suicide using a nail gun have been reported. Computed tomographic (CT) imaging, together with echocardiography, has been shown to be the gold standard for investigation of these cases. We present a case of a 55-year-old man who presented to the accident and emergency unit of a community hospital following an accidental pneumatic nail gun injury to his thorax. Volume-rendered CT of the thorax allowed an accurate assessment of the thoracic injuries sustained by this patient. As there was no evidence of any acute life-threatening injury, a sternotomy was avoided and the patient was observed closely until discharge. In conclusion, volume-rendered 3-dimensional CT can greatly help in the decision to avoid an unnecessary sternotomy in patients with a thoracic nail gun injury.
- Delayed Presentation of Nail Gun-Associated Traumatic Pneumothorax with a Retained Foreign Body: A Case Report.
- Authors: O'Kane L, Hooda Z, Molavi I
- Issue date: 2022 Nov 23
- [Multiple penetrating brain injuries caused by a nail gun: a case report].
- Authors: Zazpe I, Vázquez A, Beaumont C, Bardón A, Azcona J, Gallo-Ruiz A, Portillo E
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Cardiac injury due to accidental discharge of nail gun.
- Authors: Temple AD, Fesmire FM, Seaberg DC, Severance HW
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Survival after multiple nail gun injuries to the brain, lung, and heart: a case report and a review of the literature.
- Authors: Wang SH, Chen MY, Yan JL, Huang TY, Chang CC, Chien CY
- Issue date: 2021 Oct
- The Self-Inflicted Multiple Organs Injury with Nail Gun.
- Authors: Fang X, Yu C, He F
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 17