Isolation of NDM-1-producing Klebsiella pnemoniae in Ireland, July 2011.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Microbiology, Children's University Hospital, Temple Street, Dublin, Ireland.
Drug Resistance, Multiple, Bacterial
Microbial Sensitivity Tests
Polymerase Chain Reaction
Sequence Analysis, DNA
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIsolation of NDM-1-producing Klebsiella pnemoniae in Ireland, July 2011. 2012, 17 (7): Euro Surveill.
JournalEuro surveillance : bulletin européen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin
AbstractWe report the identification of New Delhi metallo-betalactamase 1 (NDM-1)-producing Klebsiella pnemoniae in Ireland. The organism was resistant to multiple antibiotic classes, including carbapenems, and PCR and sequencing confirmed the presence of the blaNDM-1 gene, carried on a 98 kb plasmid. The organism was isolated from an infant, who was born in India and moved to Ireland at the age of four months. This is the first reported isolation of an NDM-1-producing Enterobacteriaceae strain in Ireland.
- NDM-1-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated in the Sultanate of Oman.
- Authors: Poirel L, Al Maskari Z, Al Rashdi F, Bernabeu S, Nordmann P
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- First isolation and outbreak of OXA-48-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in an Irish hospital, March to June 2011.
- Authors: O'Brien DJ, Wrenn C, Roche C, Rose L, Fenelon C, Flynn A, Murphy V, FitzGerald SF, Fenelon LE, Crowley B, Schaffer K
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 21
- Outbreak of carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae containing blaNDM-1, Ontario, Canada.
- Authors: Borgia S, Lastovetska O, Richardson D, Eshaghi A, Xiong J, Chung C, Baqi M, McGeer A, Ricci G, Sawicki R, Pantelidis R, Low DE, Patel SN, Melano RG
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- First identified case of VIM-producing carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in the Republic of Ireland associated with fatal outcome.
- Authors: Prior AR, Roche C, Lynch M, Kelly S, O'Rourke K, Crowley B
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 16
- The Balkan region: NDM-1-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae ST11 clonal strain causing outbreaks in Greece.
- Authors: Voulgari E, Gartzonika C, Vrioni G, Politi L, Priavali E, Levidiotou-Stefanou S, Tsakris A
- Issue date: 2014 Aug