A Descriptive Survey of the Information Needs of Parents of Children Admitted for Same Day Surgery.
AffiliationNurse Practice Development Unit, Cork University Hospital, Health Service Executive (South), Wilton, Cork, Ireland. Electronic address: Kathleen.Healy@hse.ie.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA Descriptive Survey of the Information Needs of Parents of Children Admitted for Same Day Surgery. 2012: J Pediatr Nurs
JournalJournal of pediatric nursing
AbstractGoing to the hospital for surgery is an event that most people may find daunting. Anticipation of the unknown, lack of control over events and unfamiliarity with the environment may result in feelings of anxiety and stress. This research paper used a quantitative descriptive survey to establish the information needs of parents of children admitted for same day surgery. The main aims of this study were to establish what information parents had received prior to their child's admission for same day surgery, and how they perceived this information. It also determined what other information they required. The findings demonstrated that the majority of parents in this study were satisfied with the information they had received. However they wanted further advice on the waiting times involved, the equipment used in the operating room department, pain relief and the procedures in the recovery room.
- Children's accounts of their preoperative information needs.
- Authors: Smith L, Callery P
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- The benefits of preparing children and parents for day surgery.
- Authors: Murphy-Taylor C
- Issue date: 1999 Jun 24-Jul 7
- Benefits of preoperative education for adult elective surgery patients.
- Authors: Kruzik N
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Clown doctors as a treatment for preoperative anxiety in children: a randomized, prospective study.
- Authors: Vagnoli L, Caprilli S, Robiglio A, Messeri A
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Setting up pre-admission visits for children undergoing day surgery: a practice development initiative.
- Authors: O'Shea M, Cummins A, Kelleher A
- Issue date: 2010 Jun