Initial diagnosis and treatment in first-episode psychosis: can an operationalized diagnostic classification system enhance treating clinicians' diagnosis and the treatment chosen?
AffiliationLambeth Early Onset Service, SouthLondon and Maudsley NHS Trust, London, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
International Classification of Diseases
Physician's Practice Patterns
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInitial diagnosis and treatment in first-episode psychosis: can an operationalized diagnostic classification system enhance treating clinicians' diagnosis and the treatment chosen? 2011, 5 (2):132-9 Early Interv Psychiatry
JournalEarly intervention in psychiatry
AbstractDiagnosis during the initial stages of first-episode psychosis is particularly challenging but crucial in deciding on treatment. This is compounded by important differences in the two major classification systems, International Classification of Diseases, 10th revision (ICD-10) and Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition (DSM-IV). We aimed to compare the concordance between an operationalized diagnosis using Operational Criteria Checklist (OPCRIT) and treating clinician-generated diagnosis in first episode psychosis diagnosis and its correlation with treatment prescribed.
- [Prescription practices of antipsychotic medication in early psychosis: a two-year follow-up survey of subjects admitted in two psychiatric hospitals of South-Western France].
- Authors: Grolleau A, Cougnard A, Parrot M, Kalmi E, Desage A, Misdrahi D, Brun-Rousseau H, Verdoux H
- Issue date: 2007 May-Jun
- Treating co-occurring first-episode psychosis and borderline personality: a pilot randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Gleeson JF, Chanen A, Cotton SM, Pearce T, Newman B, McCutcheon L
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Classification for clinical practice: how to make ICD and DSM better able to serve clinicians.
- Authors: First MB, Westen D
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- The validity of schizophrenia diagnosis in the Finnish Hospital Discharge Register: findings from a 10-year birth cohort sample.
- Authors: Pihlajamaa J, Suvisaari J, Henriksson M, Heilä H, Karjalainen E, Koskela J, Cannon M, Lönnqvist J
- Issue date: 2008