Assessment of posttraumatic symptoms in patients with first-episode psychosis.
Jones, Peter B
Doody, Gillian A
Murray, Robin M
Fisher, Helen L
AffiliationUniversitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, Hamburg, Germany. firstname.lastname@example.org
Psychiatric Status Rating Scales
Stress Disorders, Post-Traumatic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAssessment of posttraumatic symptoms in patients with first-episode psychosis. 2011, 199 (11):896-8 J. Nerv. Ment. Dis.
JournalThe Journal of nervous and mental disease
AbstractPosttraumatic stress disorder is common among patients with psychotic disorders. The present study examined the internal reliability and comparability of the Impact of Event Scale (IES) in a sample of 38 patients with first-episode psychosis and 47 controls exposed to severe physical and/or sexual abuse. The IES total score and both subscales showed high internal consistency in both groups (Cronbach's alpha coefficients of approximately 0.9 or higher). Given their equivalent trauma reporting, the lack of differences in IES scores between patients and controls seems to indicate that patients are likely to report accurately and neither exaggerate nor minimize their posttraumatic symptoms. Overall, the findings suggest that the IES can be used to assess symptoms of posttraumatic stress in patients with psychotic disorders as in other populations.
- Measuring trauma and stressful events in childhood and adolescence among patients with first-episode psychosis: initial factor structure, reliability, and validity of the Trauma Experiences Checklist.
- Authors: Cristofaro SL, Cleary SD, Ramsay Wan C, Broussard B, Chapman C, Haggard PJ, Jananeh S, Myers NL, Compton MT
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 15
- Posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms related to psychosis and acute involuntary hospitalization in schizophrenic and delusional patients.
- Authors: Meyer H, Taiminen T, Vuori T, Aijälä A, Helenius H
- Issue date: 1999 Jun
- Psychotic features and combat-associated PTSD.
- Authors: Hamner MB
- Issue date: 1997
- Pretreatment and outcome correlates of sexual and physical trauma in an epidemiological cohort of first-episode psychosis patients.
- Authors: Conus P, Cotton S, Schimmelmann BG, McGorry PD, Lambert M
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- The effects of childhood abuse on self-reported psychotic symptoms in severe mental illness: Mediating effects of posttraumatic stress symptoms.
- Authors: Choi JY, Choi YM, Kim B, Lee DW, Gim MS, Park SH
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 30