Lemur tyrosine kinase-2 signalling regulates kinesin-1 light chain-2 phosphorylation and binding of Smad2 cargo.
AffiliationDepartment of Neuroscience P037, MRC Centre for Neurodegeneration Research, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, London, UK.
Fluorescent Antibody Technique
Glycogen Synthase Kinase 3
Protein Phosphatase 1
RNA, Small Interfering
Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction
Receptors, Transforming Growth Factor beta
Transforming Growth Factor beta
Two-Hybrid System Techniques
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLemur tyrosine kinase-2 signalling regulates kinesin-1 light chain-2 phosphorylation and binding of Smad2 cargo. 2012, 31 (22):2773-82 Oncogene
AbstractA recent genome-wide association study identified the gene encoding lemur tyrosine kinase-2 (LMTK2) as a susceptibility gene for prostate cancer. The identified genetic alteration is within intron 9, but the mechanisms by which LMTK2 may impact upon prostate cancer are not clear because the functions of LMTK2 are poorly understood. Here, we show that LMTK2 regulates a known pathway that controls phosphorylation of kinesin-1 light chain-2 (KLC2) by glycogen synthase kinase-3β (GSK3β). KLC2 phosphorylation by GSK3β induces the release of cargo from KLC2. LMTK2 signals via protein phosphatase-1C (PP1C) to increase inhibitory phosphorylation of GSK3β on serine-9 that reduces KLC2 phosphorylation and promotes binding of the known KLC2 cargo Smad2. Smad2 signals to the nucleus in response to transforming growth factor-β (TGFβ) receptor stimulation and transport of Smad2 by kinesin-1 is required for this signalling. We show that small interfering RNA loss of LMTK2 not only reduces binding of Smad2 to KLC2, but also inhibits TGFβ-induced Smad2 signalling. Thus, LMTK2 may regulate the activity of kinesin-1 motor function and Smad2 signalling.
- Transforming growth factor-β signalling: role and consequences of Smad linker region phosphorylation.
- Authors: Kamato D, Burch ML, Piva TJ, Rezaei HB, Rostam MA, Xu S, Zheng W, Little PJ, Osman N
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Retinoids regulate TGFbeta signaling at the level of Smad2 phosphorylation and nuclear accumulation.
- Authors: Hoover LL, Burton EG, O'Neill ML, Brooks BA, Sreedharan S, Dawson NA, Kubalak SW
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Requirement of a dynein light chain in TGFbeta/Smad3 signaling.
- Authors: Jin Q, Gao G, Mulder KM
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- C18 ORF1, a novel negative regulator of transforming growth factor-β signaling.
- Authors: Nakano N, Maeyama K, Sakata N, Itoh F, Akatsu R, Nakata M, Katsu Y, Ikeno S, Togawa Y, Vo Nguyen TT, Watanabe Y, Kato M, Itoh S
- Issue date: 2014 May 2
- Lemur tyrosine kinase 2 (LMTK2) is a determinant of cell sensitivity to apoptosis by regulating the levels of the BCL2 family members.
- Authors: Conti A, Majorini MT, Fontanella E, Bardelli A, Giacca M, Delia D, Mano M, Lecis D
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 28