An Unusual Case of Marginal Zone B-Cell Lymphoma Arising in the Breast - Its Diagnosis and the Role of Radiotherapy in its Management.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, St. Luke's Hospital, Rathgar, Dublin 6, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAn Unusual Case of Marginal Zone B-Cell Lymphoma Arising in the Breast - Its Diagnosis and the Role of Radiotherapy in its Management. 2011, 6 (5):391-393notBreast Care (Basel)
JournalBreast care (Basel, Switzerland)
AbstractBACKGROUND: Primary lymphoma of the breast accounts for 0.04-0.5% of all breast malignancies and approximately 1% of all extranodal lymphomas. For stage IE node-negative disease, involved field radiotherapy is recommended except for very young women in whom the risk of breast cancer is a concern. The rate of complete response for limited stage extranodal marginal B-cell lymphoma is in excess of 90%. CASE REPORT: We report the case of a 62-year-old lady who presented with a unilateral painless palpable right breast lump. She subsequently underwent a trucut biopsy of the lesion. The histology revealed a low-grade B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Immunohistochemistry showed that more than 95% of the cells were B cells which were CD 20+/CD 45+ and BC L6+. This confirmed the diagnosis of marginal zone lymphoma. Staging work-up was negative for distant metastases. Serum alkaline phosphatase and lactate dehydrogenase were normal. The patient had no 'B' symptoms. Her final diagnosis was clinical stage IAE NHL, and she was referred for curative radiotherapy. CONCLUSION: Radiation treatment is a safe and extremely effective modality of treatment for early stage I marginal zone B-cell lymphomas of the breast.
- Marginal zone lymphoma of the breast-A diminished role for surgery.
- Authors: Koganti SB, Lozada A, Curras E, Shah A
- Issue date: 2016
- Outcome and prognostic factors in ocular adnexal lymphoma.
- Authors: Nola M, Lukenda A, Bollmann M, Kalauz M, Petrovecki M, Bollmann R
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Low-dose radiotherapy for extranodal marginal zone B lymphoma of the lip: Case report and literature review.
- Authors: Bianco L, Solla SD, Parvis G, Gino E, Bollito E, Filippi AR, Massa F, Ruo Redda MG
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 31
- Orbital lymphoma: diagnostic approach and treatment outcome.
- Authors: Eckardt AM, Lemound J, Rana M, Gellrich NC
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 18
- Treatment results of tonsillar lymphoma: a 10-year experience.
- Authors: Mohammadianpanah M, Omidvai S, Mosalei A, Ahmadloo N
- Issue date: 2005 Apr