The effect of short term neo-adjuvant androgen deprivation on erectile function in patients treated with external beam radiotherapy for localised prostate cancer: an analysis of the 4- versus 8-month randomised trial (Irish Clinical Oncology Research Group 97-01).
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, St. Luke's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe effect of short term neo-adjuvant androgen deprivation on erectile function in patients treated with external beam radiotherapy for localised prostate cancer: an analysis of the 4- versus 8-month randomised trial (Irish Clinical Oncology Research Group 97-01). 2012, 104 (1):96-102 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and oncology : journal of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology
AbstractErectile dysfunction is a common consequence of external beam radiotherapy (EBRT) for prostate cancer. The addition of neo-adjuvant androgen deprivation (NAD) has an indeterminate additive effect. We examined the long-term effect on erectile function (EF) of two durations (4 months: arm 1 and 8 months: arm 2) of NAD prior to radiation (RT) for patients with localised prostate cancer from the Irish Clinical Oncology Research Group (ICORG 97-01) 4- versus 8-month trial. In this study we aimed to (1) analyse the overall effect on EF of NAD in an EBRT population, (2) compare the probability of retained EF over time in an EBRT population treated with either 4 or 8 months of NAD and (3) identify any variables such as risk group and age which may have an additive detrimental effect. This analysis provides unique long term follow up data.
- Lack of benefit from a short course of androgen deprivation for unfavorable prostate cancer patients treated with an accelerated hypofractionated regime.
- Authors: Martinez AA, Demanes DJ, Galalae R, Vargas C, Bertermann H, Rodriguez R, Gustafson G, Altieri G, Gonzalez J
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 1
- Phase III trial of long-term adjuvant androgen deprivation after neoadjuvant hormonal cytoreduction and radiotherapy in locally advanced carcinoma of the prostate: the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Protocol 92-02.
- Authors: Hanks GE, Pajak TF, Porter A, Grignon D, Brereton H, Venkatesan V, Horwitz EM, Lawton C, Rosenthal SA, Sandler HM, Shipley WU, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group.
- Issue date: 2003 Nov 1
- A randomized trial (Irish clinical oncology research group 97-01) comparing short versus protracted neoadjuvant hormonal therapy before radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer.
- Authors: Armstrong JG, Gillham CM, Dunne MT, Fitzpatrick DA, Finn MA, Cannon ME, Taylor JC, O'Shea CM, Buckney SJ, Thirion PG
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 1
- Long-term potency preservation following brachytherapy for prostate cancer.
- Authors: Snyder KM, Stock RG, Buckstein M, Stone NN
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Report of a multicenter Canadian phase III randomized trial of 3 months vs. 8 months neoadjuvant androgen deprivation before standard-dose radiotherapy for clinically localized prostate cancer.
- Authors: Crook J, Ludgate C, Malone S, Lim J, Perry G, Eapen L, Bowen J, Robertson S, Lockwood G
- Issue date: 2004 Sep 1