Avascular necrosis of bilateral femoral heads in a patient with Fabry's disease.
AffiliationTrauma and Orthopaedic Department, Kerry General Hospital, Tralee, Kerry, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Enzyme Replacement Therapy
Femur Head Necrosis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAvascular necrosis of bilateral femoral heads in a patient with Fabry's disease., 22 (1):119-21 Hip Int
JournalHip international : the journal of clinical and experimental research on hip pathology and therapy
AbstractThe underlying cause of avascular necrosis (AVN) of the femoral head is often not apparent. We report the case of a 26 year old builder with a four month history of bilateral hip pain, and a diagnosis of bilateral femoral head avascular necrosis. Fabry's disease was identified as the probable cause. Since 2001, enzyme replacement therapy for Fabry's disease has become available, with a potential to influence the disease process, and this is of potential importance to clinicians treating AVN.
- Avascular necrosis of the femoral head in a patient with Fabry's disease: identification of ceramide trihexoside in the bone by delayed-extraction matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time-of-flight mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Horiuchi H, Saito N, Kobayashi S, Ota H, Taketomi T, Takaoka K
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- [Renal involvement in Fabry's disease: diagnosis, follow-up and enzyme replacement therapy].
- Authors: Mignani R, Feriozzi S, Carraro G, Martinelli F, Cianciaruso B
- Issue date: 2009 Sep-Oct
- Association of Fabry's disease with femoral head avascular necrosis.
- Authors: Ross G, Kuwamura F, Goral A
- Issue date: 1993 Apr
- [Efficacy of replacement enzyme therapy on central nervous system manifestations in Fabry's disease].
- Authors: Besson G, Vadot W, Guellerin J
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Enzyme replacement therapy for Fabry's disease.
- Authors: Waldek S, Germain DP, Wanner C, Warnock DG
- Issue date: 2010 May 1