Excessive blinking and ataxia in a child with occult neuroblastoma and voltage-gated potassium channel antibodies.
AffiliationDepartment of Pediatric Neurology, Children's University Hospital, Dublin 1, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Neoplasms, Unknown Primary
Potassium Channels, Voltage-Gated
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationExcessive blinking and ataxia in a child with occult neuroblastoma and voltage-gated potassium channel antibodies. 2012, 129 (5):e1348-52 Pediatrics
AbstractA previously healthy 9-year-old girl presented with a 10-day history of slowly progressive unsteadiness, slurred speech, and behavior change. On examination there was cerebellar ataxia and dysarthria, excessive blinking, subtle perioral myoclonus, and labile mood. The finding of oligoclonal bands in the cerebrospinal fluid prompted paraneoplastic serological evaluation and search for an occult neural crest tumor. Antineuronal nuclear autoantibody type 1 (anti-Hu) and voltage-gated potassium channel complex antibodies were detected in serum. Metaiodobenzylguanidine scan and computed tomography scan of the abdomen showed a localized abdominal mass in the region of the porta hepatis. A diagnosis of occult neuroblastoma was made. Resection of the stage 1 neuroblastoma and treatment with pulsed corticosteroids resulted in resolution of all symptoms and signs. Excessive blinking has rarely been described with neuroblastoma, and, when it is not an isolated finding, it may be a useful clue to this paraneoplastic syndrome. Although voltage-gated potassium channel complex autoimmunity has not been described previously in the setting of neuroblastoma, it is associated with a spectrum of paraneoplastic neurologic manifestations in adults, including peripheral nerve hyperexcitability disorders.
- Opsoclonus-ataxia caused by childhood neuroblastoma: developmental and neurologic sequelae.
- Authors: Mitchell WG, Davalos-Gonzalez Y, Brumm VL, Aller SK, Burger E, Turkel SB, Borchert MS, Hollar S, Padilla S
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- Anti-Hu antibody in a neuroblastoma-associated paraneoplastic syndrome.
- Authors: Fisher PG, Wechsler DS, Singer HS
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- A case of opsoclonus-myoclonus-ataxia with neuroblastoma.
- Authors: Mukherjee A, Mukherjee A, Chakrabarty S
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Antineuronal antibody in a patient with neuroblastoma and opsoclonus-myoclonus-ataxia: a case report.
- Authors: Salmaggi A, Nemni R, Pozzi A, Silvani A, Forno MG, Luksch R, Confalonieri P, Boiardi A
- Issue date: 1997 May-Jun
- Clinical spectrum of voltage-gated potassium channel autoimmunity.
- Authors: Tan KM, Lennon VA, Klein CJ, Boeve BF, Pittock SJ
- Issue date: 2008 May 13