What do general practitioners think of the new professional competence scheme?
AffiliationSouth Eastern GP Training Scheme, Waterford Regional Hospital, Dunmore Rd, Waterford.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationWhat do general practitioners think of the new professional competence scheme? 2012, 105 (4):114-5 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal (IMJ)
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe Irish Medical Practitioners Act 2007 places a statutory obligation on all registered Medical Practitioners to maintain their professional competence by participating in a recognised Professional Competence Scheme. A questionnaire survey was conducted among 48 GPs attending educational meetings to see if doctors had concerns about the Professional Competence Scheme and to ask if they felt they had the necessary time, skills and knowledge to carry out an audit. Twenty-eight GPs (58%) had concerns regarding their participation in the Professional Competence Scheme; 75% were concerned about the time required, and 67% felt they needed further education about the scheme. Although 73% of doctors reported that they understand how to undertake a clinical audit and 50% reported they have carried out an audit in practice, 60% have never had any teaching on audit and 85% would like teaching in this area. Only 48% of the group surveyed felt that audit was practical in their current practice. Doctors have some concerns about the new Professional Competence Scheme, including the audit component. In particular, they report a requirement for more teaching in this area, and are concerned about the time involved.
- Piloting online self-audit of methadone treatment in Irish general practice: results, reflections and educational outcomes.
- Authors: Van Hout MC, Crowley D, McBride A, Delargy I
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 27
- Factors affecting feasibility and acceptability of a practice-based educational intervention to support evidence-based prescribing: a qualitative study.
- Authors: Watkins C, Timm A, Gooberman-Hill R, Harvey I, Haines A, Donovan J
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Does participation in CME SLG (small group learning) influence medical practice? The experience of general practitioners attending CME SLG after the introduction of the Medical Practitioners Act.
- Authors: Dowling S, Finnegan H, Collins C
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Doctor-patient interaction in Finnish primary health care as perceived by first year medical students.
- Authors: Miettola J, Mäntyselkä P, Vaskilampi T
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 15
- Variations in the ability of general medical practitioners to apply two methods of clinical audit: A five-year study of assessment by peer review.
- Authors: McKay J, Bowie P, Lough M
- Issue date: 2006 Dec