Impact of second reminder invitation on uptake of screening and cancer detection in BreastCheck.
AffiliationNational Cancer Screening Service, Kings Inn House, 200 Parnell Street, Dublin 1. firstname.lastname@example.org
National Health Programs
MetadataShow full item record
CitationImpact of second reminder invitation on uptake of screening and cancer detection in BreastCheck. 2012, 105 (1):7-9 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal (IMJ)
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThis research aims to quantify the impact of reminder invitations on uptake and cancer detection in Ireland. Examination of BreastCheck's clinical database (2000-2010) to determine number of women screened following first invitation and after reminder; comparison by age group and screening phase with outcomes of recall rate, cancer detection and true positive rates. Of 819,182 first invitations sent 448,974 (54.8%) women attended. 245,157 (66.2%) women attended after reminder invitations, increasing uptake by 29.9% to 694,131 (84.7%) and cancers detected by 1,550 (35%). Women awaiting a reminder were less likely recalled for assessment 9,555 (3.9%) than respondents to first invitation 2,887 (4.04%) (p=0.004). Younger, mainly initial women were more likely recalled for assessment after first invitation. There was no difference between cohorts for cancer detection rate or true positive rate. Reminders increased uptake, supporting international evidence. For programme efficiency attendance at first invitation is optimal. For maximum programme effectiveness attendance must be encouraged with reminders.
- Mammography screening for breast cancer in Copenhagen April 1991-March 1997. Mammography Screening Evaluation Group.
- Authors: Lynge E
- Issue date: 1998
- Breast cancer screening--prevalence of disease in women who only respond after an invitation reminder.
- Authors: Hofvind S
- Issue date: 2007
- A large population-based randomized controlled trial to increase attendance at screening for cervical cancer.
- Authors: Eaker S, Adami HO, Granath F, Wilander E, Sparén P
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- The impact of reminder letters on attendance for breast cancer screening.
- Authors: Hayes C, O'Herlihy B, Hynes M, Johnson Z
- Issue date: 1999 Jan-Mar
- Factors affecting women's response to an invitation to attend for a second breast cancer screening examination.
- Authors: Orton M, Fitzpatrick R, Fuller A, Mant D, Mlynek C, Thorogood M
- Issue date: 1991 Aug