Ambulatory Care Facilities
Deep Brain Stimulation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe role of a movement disorders clinic. 2012, 105 (2):57-9 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal (IMJ)
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractIreland's ageing population will result in a substantial increase in neurodegenerative disease with a projected increase in prevalence of Idiopathic Parkinson's disease (IPD) to 9,000 by 2021. There are few published audits of neurology services to assist care planning. As a first step towards evaluating future service needs for this group of patients, we audited a single tertiary referral IPD and Other Movement Disorders clinic for 2006. A total of 497 patients from all counties in Ireland were seen; 225 (59%) of patients had IPD, 32 (8.2%) had atypical parkinsonism, and 22 (5.8%) dystonia. In a subset of 275 patients, 151 (55%) were referred by GPs, 74 (27%) by other consultants, and 49 (18%) by other consultant neurologists. Diagnosis was changed in 22 (38%) and medication was adjusted in 203 (74%). A telephone survey of 50 patients demonstrated 100% satisfaction with the improved access to the clinical nurse specialist, telephone support and improved continuity of care. The IPD and Other Movement Disorders clinic provides an important local, regional, and national diagnostic and therapeutic service for complex movement disorders. It is proposed that a national registry of IPD and audit of the delivery of care to patients with movement disorders is needed.
- Pharmacist's role in a Parkinson's disease and movement disorders clinic.
- Authors: Poon LH, Lee AJ, Chiao TB, Kang GA, Heath S, Glass GA
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 15
- [Treatment of movement disorders with deep brain stimulation].
- Authors: Toft M, Lilleeng B, Ramm-Pettersen J, Røste GK, Pedersen L, Skogseid IM, Dietrichs E
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 11
- Inappropriate crying and laughing in Parkinson disease and movement disorders.
- Authors: Siddiqui MS, Fernandez HH, Garvan CW, Kirsch-Darrow L, Bowers D, Rodriguez RL, Jacobson CE 4th, Rosado C, Vaidyanathan S, Foote KD, Okun MS
- Issue date: 2009
- Referring patients for deep brain stimulation: an improving practice.
- Authors: Katz M, Kilbane C, Rosengard J, Alterman RL, Tagliati M
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Surgical treatment of movement disorders.
- Authors: Kluger BM, Klepitskaya O, Okun MS
- Issue date: 2009 Aug