AffiliationOur Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin, Dublin 12. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCholedochal cysts: our ten year experience. 2012, 105 (4):110-3 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal (IMJ)
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractWe present our experience in the management of choledochal cysts from 1999 to 2009. A retrospective review of all charts with a diagnosis of choledochal cysts in our institution in this ten-year period. Data was collated using Excel. A total of 17 patients were diagnosed with choledochal cyst: 9 females and 8 males. The average age at diagnosis was 28 months (range from 0 to 9 years). The most common presenting symptoms were obstructive jaundice 6 (35%) and abdominal pain and vomiting 4 (23%). Ultrasound (US) was the initial diagnostic test in all cases with 4 patients requiring further investigations. All patients underwent Roux-en-Y Hepaticojejunostomy. The average length of stay was 11 days. Patients were followed up with Liver Function Tests (LFTS) and US 4-6 weeks post-operatively. Three patients developed complications including post-op collection, high drain output requiring blood transfusion and adhesive bowel obstruction. Our overall experience with choledochal cyst patients has been a positive one with effective management and low complication rates.
- Choledochal cysts: a ten year experience.
- Authors: Rha SY, Stovroff MC, Glick PL, Allen JE, Ricketts RR
- Issue date: 1996 Jan
- Laparoscopic excision of choledochal cyst and Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy in symptomatic neonates.
- Authors: Liu SL, Li L, Hou WY, Zhang J, Huang LM, Li X, Xie HW, Cheng W
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Management of adult choledochal cyst.
- Authors: Tan SS, Tan NC, Ibrahim S, Tay KH
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Management of choledochal cyst: 30 years of experience and results in a single center.
- Authors: She WH, Chung HY, Lan LC, Wong KK, Saing H, Tam PK
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- [Congenital dilatation of the common bile duct (congenital choledochal cyst)].
- Authors: Savić Dj, Milovanović D, Jovanović D
- Issue date: 2001 May-Jun