AffiliationDepartment of Public Health, HSE West, Merlin Park Hospital, Galway.
Analysis of Variance
Length of Stay
Quality Assurance, Health Care
MetadataShow full item record
CitationReview of acute cancer beds. 2012, 105 (1):13-5 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal (IMJ)
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractA review of admissions to cancer services at University Hospital Galway (UHG) was undertaken to assess the appropriateness of hospital usage. All cancer specialty patients admitted from 26-28 May 2009 were reviewed (n = 82). Chi square tests, Exact tests, and One-way ANOVA were utilised to analyse key issues emerging from the data. Fifty (61%) were classified as emergencies. Twenty three (67%) occupied a designated cancer bed with 24 (30%) in outlying non-oncology wards. The mean length of stay was 29.3 days. Possible alternatives to admission were identified for 15 (19%) patients. There was no evidence of discharge planning for 50 (60%) admissions. There is considerable potential to make more appropriate utilisation of UHG for cancer patients, particularly in terms of reducing bed days and length of stay and the proportion of emergency cancer admissions, and further developing integrated systems of discharge planning.
- Appropriateness of bed usage for inpatients admitted as emergencies to internal medicine services.
- Authors: Armstrong SH, Peden NR, Nimmo S, Alcorn M
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- Appropriateness of acute medical admissions and length of stay.
- Authors: Smith HE, Pryce A, Carlisle L, Jones JM, Scarpello J, Pantin C
- Issue date: 1997 Sep-Oct
- Pattern and outcome of medical admissions at the Ogun State University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu--a three year review.
- Authors: Ogun SA, Adelowo OO, Familoni OB, Jaiyesimi AE, Fakoya EA
- Issue date: 2000 Oct-Dec
- Measuring appropriate use of acute beds. A systematic review of methods and results.
- Authors: McDonagh MS, Smith DH, Goddard M
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Short-term forecasting of emergency inpatient flow.
- Authors: Abraham G, Byrnes GB, Bain CA
- Issue date: 2009 May