Electronic clinical decision support systems attitudes and barriers to use in the oncology setting.
AffiliationDepartment of Cancer Medicine, Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, Locked Bag No. 1, A'Beckett St., Melbourne, VIC, 8006, Australia, email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationElectronic clinical decision support systems attitudes and barriers to use in the oncology setting. 2012:notIr J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: There is little evidence regarding attitudes to clinical decision support systems (CDSS) in oncology. AIMS: We examined the current usage, awareness, and concerns of Irish medical oncologists and oncology pharmacists in this area. METHODS: A questionnaire was sent to 27 medical oncologists and 34 oncology pharmacists, identified through professional interest groups. Respondents ranked concerns regarding their use of a CDSS on a scale from 1 to 4, with 4 being most important. RESULTS: Overall, 67% (41/61) responded, 48% (13/27) of oncologists and 82% (28/34) of pharmacists surveyed. Concerns included "difficulty defining complex clinical situations with a set of rules" (mean ± SD) (3.2 ± 0.9), "ensuring evidence base is up to date and relevant" (3.2 ± 0.9) and "lack of clinically relevant suggestions" (2.9 ± 0.9). Ninety-three percent reported using a CDSS but 54% were unaware of this. CONCLUSION: While there are benefits to using a CDSS, concerns must be addressed through user education. This may be a starting point for a user-centred design approach to the development of future local systems through a consultative process.
- General practitioners' attitudes and preparedness towards Clinical Decision Support in e-Prescribing (CDS-eP) adoption in the West of Ireland: a cross sectional study.
- Authors: Hor CP, O'Donnell JM, Murphy AW, O'Brien T, Kropmans TJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 12
- Identification of risks associated with the prescribing and dispensing of oral anticancer medicines in Ireland.
- Authors: Hammond L, Marsden E, O'Hanlon N, King F, Henman MC, Keane C
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Acceptance of clinical decision support surveillance technology in the clinical pharmacy.
- Authors: English D, Ankem K, English K
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Independent prescribing by pharmacists: a study of the awareness, views and attitudes of Scottish community pharmacists.
- Authors: George J, Pfleger D, McCaig D, Bond C, Stewart D
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Pharmacists' roles in oncology pharmacy services: Results of a global survey.
- Authors: Holle LM, Harris CS, Chan A, Fahrenbruch RJ, Labdi BA, Mohs JE, Norris LB, Perkins J, Vela CM
- Issue date: 2017 Apr