A comparison of propofol and amobarbital for use in the Wada test.
AuthorsMagee, James A
Pender, Niall P
Fortune, Gillian M
AffiliationDepartment of Psychology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA comparison of propofol and amobarbital for use in the Wada test. 2012, 21 (5):399-401 Seizure
JournalSeizure : the journal of the British Epilepsy Association
Abstract129 Wada procedures were reviewed to examine the suitability of propofol (n=54) as a replacement to amobarbital (n=75) for use as an anaesthetic in the Wada test. Suitability was considered with respect to length of hemiplegia induced, the frequency of side effects and patient memory scores. Data was retrospectively collected from records of patients who had undergone the Wada procedure between 2004 and 2009 in Beaumont Hospital, Dublin. No significant differences were found between the two drugs on any of the measures. The results suggest that propofol represents a suitable alternative to amobarbital for use in the Wada procedure.
- Bilateral Wada test: amobarbital or propofol?
- Authors: Curot J, Denuelle M, Busigny T, Barragan-Jason G, Kany M, Tall P, Marlat F, Fabre N, Valton L
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- The safety and efficacy of propofol as a replacement for amobarbital in intracarotid Wada testing of presurgical patients with epilepsy.
- Authors: McCleary K, Barrash J, Granner M, Manzel K, Greider A, Jones R
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Alternatives to sodium amobarbital in the Wada test.
- Authors: Patel A, Wordell C, Szarlej D
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Selective posterior cerebral artery amobarbital test: a predictor of memory following subtemporal selective amygdalohippocampectomy.
- Authors: Catapano JS, Whiting AC, Wang DJ, Hlubek RJ, Labib MA, Morgan CD, Brigeman S, Fredrickson VL, Cavalcanti DD, Smith KA, Ducruet AF, Albuquerque FC
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Advantages of methohexital over amobarbital in determining hemispheric language and memory lateralization in the Wada test - A retrospective study.
- Authors: Conradi N, Rosenberg F, Biermann L, Haag A, Hermsen A, Gorny I, von Podewils V, Gurschi M, Keil F, Hattingen E, Menzler K, Bauer S, Schubert-Bast S, Knake S, Rosenow F, Strzelczyk A
- Issue date: 2020 Dec