The impact of meningococcal polymerase chain reaction testing on laboratory confirmation of invasive meningococcal disease.
AuthorsDrew, Richard J
Ó Maoldomhnaigh, Cilian
Gavin, Patrick J
O' Sullivan, Nicola
Butler, Karina M
AffiliationIrish Meningococcal and Meningitis Reference Laboratory (IMMRL), The Children's University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Molecular Diagnostic Techniques
Polymerase Chain Reaction
Sensitivity and Specificity
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe impact of meningococcal polymerase chain reaction testing on laboratory confirmation of invasive meningococcal disease. 2012, 31 (3):316-8 Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J.
JournalThe Pediatric infectious disease journal
AbstractLaboratory methods of diagnosis were examined for 266 children with invasive meningococcal disease. Seventy-five (36%) of 207 cases with bloodstream infection had both positive blood culture and blood meningococcal polymerase chain reaction (PCR), 130 (63%) negative blood culture and positive blood PCR, and 2 (1%) had positive blood culture and negative blood PCR. Sixty-three percent of cases were diagnosed by PCR alone.
- Dynamics of PCR-based diagnosis in patients with invasive meningococcal disease.
- Authors: Bronska E, Kalmusova J, Dzupova O, Maresova V, Kriz P, Benes J
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- PCR of peripheral blood for diagnosis of meningococcal disease.
- Authors: Newcombe J, Cartwright K, Palmer WH, McFadden J
- Issue date: 1996 Jul
- Added value of PCR-testing for confirmation of invasive meningococcal disease in England.
- Authors: Heinsbroek E, Ladhani S, Gray S, Guiver M, Kaczmarski E, Borrow R, Ramsay M
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Polymerase chain reaction for diagnosis and serogrouping of meningococcal disease in children.
- Authors: Munoz-Almagro C, Rodriguez-Plata MT, Marin S, Esteva C, Esteban E, Gene A, Gelabert G, Jordan I
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Prospective study of a real-time PCR that is highly sensitive, specific, and clinically useful for diagnosis of meningococcal disease in children.
- Authors: Bryant PA, Li HY, Zaia A, Griffith J, Hogg G, Curtis N, Carapetis JR
- Issue date: 2004 Jul