Mode of conception of triplets and high order multiple pregnancies.
AffiliationDepartment of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Coombe Women and Infant's University Hospital, Cork St., Dublin. firstname.lastname@example.org
Reproductive Techniques, Assisted
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMode of conception of triplets and high order multiple pregnancies. 2012, 105 (3):80-3 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractA retrospective audit was performed of all high order multiple pregnancies (HOMPs) delivered in three maternity hospitals in Dublin between 1999 and 2008. The mode of conception for each pregnancy was established with a view to determining means of reducing their incidence. A total of 101 HOMPs occurred, 93 triplet, 7 quadruplet and 1 quintuplet. Information regarding the mode of conception was available for 78 (81%) pregnancies. Twenty eight (27.7%) were spontaneous, 34 (33.7%) followedlVF/ICSI/FET treatment (in-vitro fertilisation, intracytoplasmic sperm injection, frozen embryo transfer), 16 (15.8%) resulted from Clomiphene Citrate treatment and 6 (6%) followed ovulation induction with gonadotrophins. Triplet and HOMPs are a major cause of maternal, feta land neonatal morbidity. Many are iatrogenic, arising from fertility treatments including Clomiphene. Reducing the numbers of embryos transferred will address IVF/ICSI/FET-related multiple pregnancy rates and this is currently happening in Ireland. Clomiphene and gonadotrophins should only be prescribed when appropriate resources are available to monitor patients adequately.
- Origin of multiple pregnancies in a subfertile population.
- Authors: Brandes M, Hamilton CJ, Bergevoet KA, de Bruin JP, Nelen WL, Kremer JA
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Assisted reproductive technologies (ART) in Canada: 2006 results from the Canadian ART Register.
- Authors: Gunby J, Bissonnette F, Librach C, Cowan L, IVF Directors Group of the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society.
- Issue date: 2010 May 1
- Obstetric outcomes and congenital abnormalities after in vitro maturation, in vitro fertilization, and intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
- Authors: Buckett WM, Chian RC, Holzer H, Dean N, Usher R, Tan SL
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Multiple gestation pregnancy. The ESHRE Capri Workshop Group.
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Fetomaternal outcome in triplet pregnancy.
- Authors: Mazhar SB, Rahim F, Furukh T
- Issue date: 2008 Apr