Prospective risk of fetal death in uncomplicated monochorionic twins.
AffiliationDepartment of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital, Dublin. firstname.lastname@example.org
Cause of Death
MetadataShow full item record
CitationProspective risk of fetal death in uncomplicated monochorionic twins. 2012, 91 (3):382-5 Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand
JournalActa obstetricia et gynecologica Scandinavica
AbstractA retrospective cohort study was carried out in a university teaching hospital to determine the prospective risk of unexpected fetal death in uncomplicated monochorionic diamniotic (MCDA) twin pregnancies after viability. All MCDA twins delivered at or after 24 weeks' gestation from July 1999 to July 2007 were included. Pregnancies with twin-twin transfusion syndrome, growth restriction, structural abnormalities, or twin reversed arterial perfusion sequence were excluded. Of the 144 MCDA twin pregnancies included in our analysis, the risk of intrauterine death was 4.9%. The prospective risk of unexpected intrauterine death was 1 in 43 after 32 weeks' gestation and 1 in 37 after 34 weeks' gestation. Our results demonstrate that despite close surveillance, the unexpected intrauterine death rate in uncomplicated MCDA twin pregnancies is high. This rate seems to increase after 34 weeks' gestation, suggesting that a policy of elective preterm delivery warrants evaluation.
CollectionsCoombe Women & Infants University Hospital
- High risk of unexpected late fetal death in monochorionic twins despite intensive ultrasound surveillance: a cohort study.
- Authors: Barigye O, Pasquini L, Galea P, Chambers H, Chappell L, Fisk NM
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Risk of late-preterm stillbirth and neonatal morbidity for monochorionic and dichorionic twins.
- Authors: Burgess JL, Unal ER, Nietert PJ, Newman RB
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Should apparently uncomplicated monochorionic twins be delivered electively at 32 weeks?
- Authors: Domingues AP, Fonseca E, Vasco E, Moura P
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Adverse perinatal outcomes related to the delivery mode in women with monochorionic diamniotic twin pregnancies.
- Authors: Yamashita A, Ishii K, Taguchi T, Mabuchi A, Ota S, Sasahara J, Hayashi S, Mitsuda N
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Prospective risk of intrauterine death of monochorionic-diamniotic twins.
- Authors: Simões T, Amaral N, Lerman R, Ribeiro F, Dias E, Blickstein I
- Issue date: 2006 Jul