Population attributable risk of tobacco and alcohol for upper aerodigestive tract cancer.
Macfarlane, Tatiana V
Conway, David I
McKinney, Patricia A
Healy, Claire M
McCartan, Bernard E
Macfarlane, Gary J
AffiliationInternational Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPopulation attributable risk of tobacco and alcohol for upper aerodigestive tract cancer. 2011, 47 (8):725-31 Oral Oncol.
AbstractTobacco and alcohol are major risk factors for upper aerodigestive tract (UADT) cancer and significant variation is observed in UADT cancer rates across Europe. We have estimated the proportion of UADT cancer burden explained by tobacco and alcohol and how this varies with the incidence rates across Europe, cancer sub-site, gender and age. This should help estimate the minimum residual burden of other risk factors to UADT cancer, including human papillomavirus. We analysed 1981 UADT cancer cases and 1993 controls from the ARCAGE multicentre study. We estimated the population attributable risk (PAR) of tobacco alone, alcohol alone and their joint effect. Tobacco and alcohol together explained 73% of UADT cancer burden of which nearly 29% was explained by smoking alone, less than 1% due to alcohol on its own and 44% by the joint effect of tobacco and alcohol. Tobacco and alcohol together explained a larger proportion of hypopharyngeal/laryngeal cancer (PAR=85%) than oropharyngeal (PAR=74%), esophageal (PAR=67%) and oral cancer (PAR=61%). Tobacco and alcohol together explain only about half of the total UADT cancer burden among women. Geographically, tobacco and alcohol explained a larger proportion of UADT cancer in central (PAR=84%) than southern (PAR=72%) and western Europe (PAR=67%). While the majority of the UADT cancers in Europe are due to tobacco or the joint effect of tobacco and alcohol, our results support a significant role for other risk factors in particular, for oral and oropharyngeal cancers and also for UADT cancers in southern and western Europe.
- Incident cancers attributable to alcohol consumption in Germany, 2010.
- Authors: Wienecke A, Barnes B, Neuhauser H, Kraywinkel K
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- The aetiology of upper aerodigestive tract cancers among young adults in Europe: the ARCAGE study.
- Authors: Macfarlane TV, Macfarlane GJ, Oliver RJ, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Ahrens W, Pohlabeln H, Lagiou P, Lagiou A, Castellsague X, Agudo A, Merletti F, Richiardi L, Kjaerheim K, Slamova A, Schejbalova M, Canova C, Simonato L, Talamini R, Barzan L, Conway DI, McKinney PA, Znaor A, Lowry RJ, Thomson P, Healy CM, McCartan BE, Marron M, Hashibe M, Brennan P
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Active and involuntary tobacco smoking and upper aerodigestive tract cancer risks in a multicenter case-control study.
- Authors: Lee YC, Marron M, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Ahrens W, Pohlabeln H, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D, Agudo A, Castellsague X, Bencko V, Holcatova I, Kjaerheim K, Merletti F, Richiardi L, Macfarlane GJ, Macfarlane TV, Talamini R, Barzan L, Canova C, Simonato L, Conway DI, McKinney PA, Lowry RJ, Sneddon L, Znaor A, Healy CM, McCartan BE, Brennan P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Smoking addiction and the risk of upper-aerodigestive-tract cancer in a multicenter case-control study.
- Authors: Lee YC, Zugna D, Richiardi L, Merletti F, Marron M, Ahrens W, Pohlabeln H, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D, Agudo A, Castellsague X, Betka J, Holcatova I, Kjaerheim K, Macfarlane GJ, Macfarlane TV, Talamini R, Barzan L, Canova C, Simonato L, Conway DI, McKinney PA, Thomson P, Znaor A, Healy CM, McCartan BE, Boffetta P, Brennan P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 1
- The association between change in body mass index and upper aerodigestive tract cancers in the ARCAGE project: multicenter case-control study.
- Authors: Park SL, Lee YC, Marron M, Agudo A, Ahrens W, Barzan L, Bencko V, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Canova C, Castellsague X, Conway DI, Healy CM, Holcátová I, Kjaerheim K, Lagiou P, Lowry RJ, Macfarlane TV, Macfarlane GJ, McCartan BE, McKinney PA, Merletti F, Pohlabeln H, Richiardi L, Simonato L, Sneddon L, Talamini R, Trichopoulos D, Znaor A, Brennan P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 15