Maxillary anterior tooth dimensions and proportions in an Irish young adult population.
AffiliationDivision of Restorative Dentistry and Periodontology, Dublin Dental School and Hospital, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
Analysis of Variance
European Continental Ancestry Group
Reproducibility of Results
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMaxillary anterior tooth dimensions and proportions in an Irish young adult population. 2011, 38 (7):501-8 J Oral Rehabil
JournalJournal of oral rehabilitation
AbstractThis study was undertaken in a young Irish population to determine the dimensions and ratios of the six maxillary anterior teeth. One hundred and nine Irish subjects (age 18-25 inclusive) had irreversible hydrocolloid impressions made of their maxillary dentition poured in type V stone. Clinical crown dimensions were measured with a digital calliper. The stone casts were digitally photographed in a standardised manner enabling calculation of various ratios between the maxillary anterior teeth. Sexual dimorphism existed for various tooth dimensions; most notably canine teeth were in the region of 0·8 mm longer and 0·6 mm wider in males. Central and lateral incisors were found to be 0·5 mm wider in males. It is, therefore, recommended that dimensional tooth guidelines should be given for each of the sexes and not on a population basis. With regard to tooth proportion ratios, no significant differences were found between genders or the left and right sides for any of the measurements or ratios measured. The digitally recorded tooth proportions were similar for both sexes, and the Golden Proportion guidelines could only be applied to the lateral incisor/central incisor widths (0·618). Identified width proportions for the canine/central incisor were 0·58 and for canine/lateral incisor 0·89.
- An analysis of maxillary anterior teeth: facial and dental proportions.
- Authors: Hasanreisoglu U, Berksun S, Aras K, Arslan I
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Maxillary anterior teeth dimensions and proportions in a central mainland chinese population.
- Authors: Sah SK, Zhang HD, Chang T, Dhungana M, Acharya L, Chen LL, Ding YM
- Issue date: 2014
- Gingival zenith positions and levels of the maxillary anterior dentition.
- Authors: Chu SJ, Tan JH, Stappert CF, Tarnow DP
- Issue date: 2009
- Width/length ratios of normal clinical crowns of the maxillary anterior dentition in man.
- Authors: Sterrett JD, Oliver T, Robinson F, Fortson W, Knaak B, Russell CM
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Geometric and mathematical proportions and their relations to maxillary anterior teeth.
- Authors: Ali Fayyad M, Jamani KD, Agrabawi J
- Issue date: 2006 Nov 1