Poor compliance with child safety restraint use while travelling.
AffiliationDepartment of Paediatrics, Sligo General Hospital, The Mall, Sligo.
Child Restraint Systems
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPoor compliance with child safety restraint use while travelling. 2011, 104 (2):42-4 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractRoad traffic accidents are a leading cause of death of children. It is the law that all children should be appropriately secured when traveling in vehicles. The aim of this study was to evaluate parental conformity with these regulations and to test if advice given at a Paediatric outpatient clinic could improve compliance. Two groups were assigned, an intervention group (parents given an information leaflet and a clear explanation about appropriate restraints for their children) and a non-intervention group (received no information). They were contacted again after 2 months and asked regarding compliance. A total of 394 children from 186 families were initially given the questionnaire. Nearly one third of children (29.2%) were not using any restraint while travelling rising to 35.3% on follow up. This study concluded that once off parental education made negligible difference to an already inconsistent and haphazard approach to compliance with safety regulations.
- Changes in child safety restraint use and parental driving behaviours in Italy.
- Authors: Collarile P, Valent F, Di Bartolomeo S, Barbone F
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Analysis of child passenger safety restraint use at a pediatric emergency department.
- Authors: Cease AT, King WD, Monroe KW
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Are we there yet? Canada's progress towards achieving road safety vision 2010 for children travelling in vehicles.
- Authors: Snowdon AW, Hussein A, Purc-Stevenson R, Bruce B, Kolga C, Boase P, Howard A
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Free child passenger restraints for patients in an urban pediatric medical home: effects on caregiver behavior.
- Authors: Brixey S, Guse CE, Ngui E
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Motor vehicle transportation in hip spica casts: are our patients safely restrained?
- Authors: Herman MJ, Abzug JM, Krynetskiy EE, Guzzardo LV
- Issue date: 2011 Jun