AffiliationDonegal Mental Health Services, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTelepsychiatry and carer education for schizophrenia., 26 (5):302-4 Eur. Psychiatry
JournalEuropean psychiatry : the journal of the Association of European Psychiatrists
AbstractDespite the scientific evidence, most families of people with schizophrenia in Europe never receive a carer education programme. We evaluated whether a carer education course delivered by telepsychiatry was as effective as a carer education course delivered in situ.
We delivered the carer education course for schizophrenia simultaneously to a carers group in rural north west Ireland (remote) via three ISDN lines and live to a carers group in a city (host). We compared knowledge gains using the Knowledge Questionnaire before and after each course.
Fifty-six carers of people with schizophrenia participated in the trial. At baseline, participants at the remote and host centers did not differ in terms of knowledge about schizophrenia. After the course, carers at both centers improved significantly and the knowledge gains between groups were equivalent at 6 weeks.
Telepsychiatry can deliver effective carer education programmes about schizophrenia and may provide one solution to bridging the chasm between scientific evidence and clinical reality.
- What support can community mental health nurses deliver to carers of people diagnosed with schizophrenia? Findings from a review of the literature.
- Authors: Macleod SH, Elliott L, Brown R
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- An evaluation of an oral health training programme for carers of the elderly in residential homes.
- Authors: Simons D, Baker P, Jones B, Kidd EA, Beighton D
- Issue date: 2000 Feb 26
- Training nurses to support carers of relatives with schizophrenia.
- Authors: Gall SH, Elliott L, Atkinson JM, Johansen R
- Issue date: 2001 Feb 22-Mar 7
- Dementia carer education and patient behaviour disturbance.
- Authors: Coen RF, O'Boyle CA, Coakley D, Lawlor BA
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Helping carers care: an education programme for rural carers of people with a mental illness.
- Authors: Hayman F
- Issue date: 2005 Jun