Review of cancer pain management in patients receiving maintenance methadone therapy.
AffiliationSt Francis Hospice, Raheny, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Dose-Response Relationship, Drug
Drug Therapy, Combination
Opiate Substitution Treatment
MetadataShow full item record
CitationReview of cancer pain management in patients receiving maintenance methadone therapy. 2011, 28 (3):183-7 Am J Hosp Palliat Care
JournalThe American journal of hospice & palliative care
AbstractMethadone is commonly used in the treatment of heroin addiction. Patients with a history of opioid misuse or on methadone maintenance therapy (MMT) with cancer often have difficult to manage pain. We studied 12 patients referred to the palliative care service with cancer pain who were on MMT. All had difficult to control pain, and a third required 5 or more analgesic agents. Two patients had documented ''drug-seeking'' behavior. Methadone was used subcutaneously as an analgesic agent in 1 patient. We explore why patients on MMT have difficult to manage pain, the optimal management of their pain, and the increasing role of methadone as an analgesic agent in cancer pain.
- Opioid rotation in patients with cancer pain. A retrospective comparison of dose ratios between methadone, hydromorphone, and morphine.
- Authors: Bruera E, Pereira J, Watanabe S, Belzile M, Kuehn N, Hanson J
- Issue date: 1996 Aug 15
- Methadone versus morphine as a first-line strong opioid for cancer pain: a randomized, double-blind study.
- Authors: Bruera E, Palmer JL, Bosnjak S, Rico MA, Moyano J, Sweeney C, Strasser F, Willey J, Bertolino M, Mathias C, Spruyt O, Fisch MJ
- Issue date: 2004 Jan 1
- Management of acute pain in methadone maintenance therapy in-patients.
- Authors: Hines S, Theodorou S, Williamson A, Fong D, Curry K
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Sustained-release oral morphine versus transdermal fentanyl and oral methadone in cancer pain management.
- Authors: Mercadante S, Porzio G, Ferrera P, Fulfaro F, Aielli F, Verna L, Villari P, Ficorella C, Gebbia V, Riina S, Casuccio A, Mangione S
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Intermittent subcutaneous methadone administration in the management of cancer pain.
- Authors: Centeno C, Vara F
- Issue date: 2005