How I do it: the stapled ileal J pouch at restorative proctocolectomy.
AffiliationInstitute for Clinical Outcomes Research and Education (iCORE), Department of Surgery, St. Vincent's University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland.
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
Quality of Life
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHow I do it: the stapled ileal J pouch at restorative proctocolectomy. 2011, 15 (4):451-4 Tech Coloproctol
JournalTechniques in coloproctology
AbstractIleal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) following proctocolectomy is the preferred option for patients with medically refractory ulcerative colitis, indeterminate colitis, and familial adenomatous polyposis. However, it remains a procedure associated with morbidity and mortality. Pelvic sepsis, pouch fistulae, and anastomotic dehiscence predispose to pouch failure. We report our experience with an adaptation for the formation of the stapled ileal J pouch using the GIA™ 100 stapling device (Covidien, Mansfield, Massachusetts, USA). When creating the J pouch, we remove the bevelled plastic protector from the thin fork of the stapling device, allowing the staple line to be completed to the tip of the stapled efferent limb of the pouch, thereby minimizing potential blind ending in the efferent limb and injury to the transverse staple line.
- Early postoperative complications after stapled vs handsewn restorative proctocolectomy with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis in 148 patients with familial adenomatous polyposis coli: a matched-pair analysis.
- Authors: Ganschow P, Warth R, Hinz U, Büchler MW, Kadmon M
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Total proctocolectomy with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis by stapling technique.
- Authors: Jalal MT, Sheikh SH, Hossain MS, Nahar K, Das C, Islam MS, Ahsanullah AK
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Characteristics of learning curve in minimally invasive ileal pouch-anal anastomosis in a single institution.
- Authors: Rencuzogullari A, Stocchi L, Costedio M, Gorgun E, Kessler H, Remzi FH
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Ileal pouch anal anastomosis with modified double-stapled mucosectomy--the experience in China.
- Authors: Zhang YJ, Han Y, Lin MB, He YG, Zhang HB, Yin L, Huang L
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 28
- Long-term functional results after ileal pouch anal restorative proctocolectomy for ulcerative colitis: a prospective observational study.
- Authors: Michelassi F, Lee J, Rubin M, Fichera A, Kasza K, Karrison T, Hurst RD
- Issue date: 2003 Sep