Thromboembolism prophylaxis practices in orthopaedic arthroplasty patients.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedic Surgery, Merlin Park Hospital, Galway. firstname.lastname@example.org
Physician's Practice Patterns
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThromboembolism prophylaxis practices in orthopaedic arthroplasty patients. 2010, 103 (9):269-72 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThromboembolic events are a post-operative complication of arthroplasty surgery for up to 3 months. The incidence however, is not fully known. Some form of prophylaxis should be provided to all arthroplasty patients. Clinicians are wary of side effects, compliance profile and the associated cost. The objective of this study is to investigate practice patterns and their relevance to 3 risk groups. Ninety questionnaires were sent to orthopaedic surgeons with 3 hypothetical clinical scenarios and 10 prophylaxis regimes for thromboembolism across different risk groups. The response rate was 81/90 (90%). The most popular options in all 3 cases were early mobilisation, thrombo-embolism deterrant (TED) stockings and low molecular weight heparin (LMWH) (51/81, 62% of all cases). An inconsistent relationship exists between preferred practice and relevant guidelines. Preferred practice does not correlate with each level of risk.
- A study of thromboprophylactic practices of Scottish orthopaedic surgeons in patients undergoing total hip replacements. Should practice change with new guidelines?
- Authors: Cowie JG, Butler S, Macpherson G, Brenkel IJ
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Surgeon practices regarding postoperative thromboembolic prophylaxis after high-risk spinal surgery.
- Authors: Glotzbecker MP, Bono CM, Harris MB, Brick G, Heary RF, Wood KB
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 15
- Optimal dosing of bemiparin as prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism in surgery for cancer: an audit of practice.
- Authors: Balibrea JL, Altimiras J, Larruzea I, Gómez-Outes A, Martínez-González J, Rocha E, Bemiparin Cooperative Study Group in Surgery for Cancer.
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- A survey of orthopedic surgeons regarding DVT prophylaxis in foot and ankle trauma surgery.
- Authors: Wolf JM, DiGiovanni CW
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Audit of attitudes to and use of postoperative thromboembolic prophylaxis in a regional health authority.
- Authors: Jones DR
- Issue date: 1991 Jul