Parenteral nutrition in very low birth weight infants in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
AffiliationDepartment of Neonatology, Coombe Women and Infants University Hospital, Dolphin's Barn, Dublin 8.
Infant, Very Low Birth Weight
MetadataShow full item record
CitationParenteral nutrition in very low birth weight infants in the United Kingdom and Ireland. 2012, 105 (2):42-5 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractParenteral nutrition (PN) plays an important role in providing nutrients for infants unable to tolerate enteral feeds study was to look at PN prescribing in neonatal units in the United Kingdom (U.K.) and Ireland, in particular in infants < 1.5 kg. A postal questionnaire was administered to the 235 neonatal units. The response rate was 179 (76%), of which 136 (76%) used PN. The initial amount of protein prescribed was 0.1-2 g/kg/day in 102 units (91%), >2 g/kg/day in 4 (4%) and 5 (5%) used no protein. 88 (80%) started lipids with the first PN prescription. Only 5 units (5%) started with >1 g/kg/day. The maximum dose of lipids and protein both varied from 2 - >4 g/kg/day. The initial glucose infusion rate was 4-8 mg/kg/min. Interestingly only 44% of units started PN in the first 24 hours of age. Hence results show great variation in PN prescribing.
- Iatrogenic malnutrition in neonatal intensive care units: urgent need to modify practice.
- Authors: Grover A, Khashu M, Mukherjee A, Kairamkonda V
- Issue date: 2008 Mar-Apr
- [Profile of parenteral nutrition prescription in very low birth weight infants: period 2006 to 2010].
- Authors: Gomis Muñoz P, Bustos Lozano G, Becerril Morancos J, Fernández-Llamazares CM, Pallás Alonso CR
- Issue date: 2012 Nov-Dec
- [Strategies for nutrition of the preterm infant with low and very low birth weight].
- Authors: Sluncheva B
- Issue date: 2010
- [Early parenteral nutrition with very low and extremely low birth weight infants--practical approach].
- Authors: Vakrilova L, Sluncheva B, Emilova Z, Pramatarova T, Jarukova N, Radulova P, Chitrova S, Petrova G
- Issue date: 2010
- Education and evidence are needed to improve neonatal parenteral nutrition practice.
- Authors: Ahmed M, Irwin S, Tuthill DP
- Issue date: 2004 May-Jun