Accessibility and screening uptake rates for gestational diabetes mellitus in Ireland.
AffiliationSchool of Business and Economics, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAccessibility and screening uptake rates for gestational diabetes mellitus in Ireland. 2012, 18 (2):339-48 Health Place
JournalHealth & place
AbstractGestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) is defined as any degree of glucose intolerance with onset or first recognition during pregnancy and is associated with a range of maternal and neonatal complications and conditions. Given increasing levels of prevalence worldwide, there are growing calls for the implementation of screening practices to identify and treat positive GDM cases. This paper uses a unique dataset to investigate the role of healthcare centre accessibility on the decision to attend for screening, employing geographic information systems, econometric and simulation techniques. We focus on the extent to which 'travel distance to screening hospital site' impacts upon the individual's screen uptake decision, whether significant geographic inequalities exist in relation to accessibility to screening, and the likely impact on uptake rates of providing screening services at a local level via primary care. Our findings have important implications for the provision of GDM screening services.
- The impact of travel distance on the decision to attend for screening for gestational diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Cullinan J, Gillespie P, Owens L, Dunne FP, ALANTIC DIP Collaborators.
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Feasibility, acceptability and uptake rates of gestational diabetes mellitus screening in primary care vs secondary care: findings from a randomised controlled mixed methods trial.
- Authors: Tierney M, O'Dea A, Danyliv A, Glynn LG, McGuire BE, Carmody LA, Newell J, Dunne FP
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- New estimates of the costs of universal screening for gestational diabetes mellitus in Ireland.
- Authors: Gillespie P, O'Neill C, Avalos G, Dunne FP, ALANTIC DIP Collaborators.
- Issue date: 2012 May
- The Toronto Tri-Hospital Gestational Diabetes Project. A preliminary review.
- Authors: Sermer M, Naylor CD, Farine D, Kenshole AB, Ritchie JW, Gare DJ, Cohen HR, McArthur K, Holzapfel S, Biringer A
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Universal two-step screening strategy for gestational diabetes has weak relevance in French Mediterranean women: should we simplify the screening strategy for gestational diabetes in France?
- Authors: Chevalier N, Fénichel P, Giaume V, Loizeau S, Bongain A, Daideri G, Brucker-Davis F, Hiéronimus S
- Issue date: 2011 Nov