A cluster of Legionnaires' disease and associated Pontiac fever morbidity in office workers, Dublin, June-July 2008.
AffiliationDepartment of Public Health, Health Services Executive, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Local subject classificationPUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT
Polymerase Chain Reaction
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA cluster of Legionnaires' disease and associated Pontiac fever morbidity in office workers, Dublin, June-July 2008. 2010, 2010:463926 J Environ Public Health
JournalJournal of environmental and public health
AbstractIn June and July 2008, two office workers were admitted to a Dublin hospital with Legionnaires' disease. Investigations showed that cooling towers in the basement car park were the most likely source of infection. However, positive results from cooling tower samples by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) did not correlate with subsequent culture results. Also, many employees reported Pontiac fever-like morbidity following notification of the second case of Legionnaires' disease. In total, 54 employees attended their general practitioner or emergency department with symptoms of Legionnaires' disease or Pontiac fever. However, all laboratory tests for Legionnaires' disease or Pontiac fever were negative. In this investigation, email was used extensively for active case finding and provision of time information to employees and medical colleagues. We recommend clarification of the role of PCR in the diagnosis of legionellosis and also advocate for a specific laboratory test for the diagnosis of the milder form of legionellosis as in Pontiac fever.
- Hot tub legionellosis. Legionnaires' disease and Pontiac fever after a point-source exposure to Legionella pneumophila.
- Authors: Thomas DL, Mundy LM, Tucker PC
- Issue date: 1993 Nov 22
- Legionnaires' disease associated with cooling towers--Massachusetts, Michigan, and Rhode Island, 1993.
- Authors: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Issue date: 1994 Jul 15
- Investigation of Pontiac-like illness in office workers during an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease, 2008.
- Authors: Nicolay N, Boland M, Ward M, Hickey L, Collins C, Lynch M, McCarthy M, O'Donnell J
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- [Evaluation of a Legionella outbreak emerged in a recently opening hotel].
- Authors: Erdoğan H, Arslan H
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- [Case study of a Legionella epidemic in a rehabilitation clinic].
- Authors: Kramer M, Beer G, Nechwatal R, Exner M, Klatte OJ, Ehret W
- Issue date: 1992 Oct