Sustained weight loss and improvement of quality of life after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for morbid obesity: a single surgeon experience in Ireland.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Galway University Hospital, National University of Ireland, Galway, Republic of Ireland. email@example.com
Body Mass Index
Quality of Life
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSustained weight loss and improvement of quality of life after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for morbid obesity: a single surgeon experience in Ireland. 2010, 179 (1):23-7 Ir J Med Sci
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAlthough substantial weight loss is the primary outcome following bariatric surgery, changes in obesity-related morbidity and quality of life (QoL) are equally important. This study reports on weight loss, QoL and health outcomes following laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB).
Bariatric analysis and reporting outcome system questionnaire survey was carried out on patients who had LAGB. Patients' body weight, body mass index, QoL and co-morbidities were recorded.
Twenty-three of 26 patients answered the questionnaire (response rate of 92%). Fifteen patients (60%) achieved over 50% excess weight loss. Twenty-two patients (84.6%) reported improvement in QoL. Co-morbidities in 18 patients (75%) resolved or improved. One patient had postoperative aspiration pneumonia and no other morbidity was recorded.
Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding is a safe and feasible method of bariatric surgery. It can achieve satisfactory weight loss with significant improvement in QoL and co-morbidity provided patients undergo thorough preoperative preparation and rigorous postoperative follow-up.
- Quality of life and alteration in comorbidity following laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding.
- Authors: Titi M, Jenkins JT, Modak P, Galloway DJ
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Comparison of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) with other bariatric procedures; a systematic review of the randomised controlled trials.
- Authors: Chakravarty PD, McLaughlin E, Whittaker D, Byrne E, Cowan E, Xu K, Bruce DM, Ford JA
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Outcome after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding - 8 years experience.
- Authors: Weiner R, Blanco-Engert R, Weiner S, Matkowitz R, Schaefer L, Pomhoff I
- Issue date: 2003 Jun
- An update on 73 US obese pediatric patients treated with laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: comorbidity resolution and compliance data.
- Authors: Nadler EP, Youn HA, Ren CJ, Fielding GA
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in an ambulatory surgery center.
- Authors: Watkins BM, Ahroni JH, Michaelson R, Montgomery KF, Abrams RE, Erlitz MD, Scurlock JE
- Issue date: 2008 May-Jun