Hepatic iron overload following liver transplantation of a C282y homozygous allograft: a case report and literature review.
AffiliationLiver Unit, St Vincent's University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland.
MeSHAmino Acid Substitution
Histocompatibility Antigens Class I
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHepatic iron overload following liver transplantation of a C282y homozygous allograft: a case report and literature review. 2011, 31 (10):1589-92 Liver Int.
JournalLiver international : official journal of the International Association for the Study of the Liver
AbstractHereditary haemochromatosis is a common genetic disease associated with progressive iron overload and parenchymal organ damage including liver, pancreas and heart. We report a case of inadvertent transplantation of a liver from a haemochromatosis donor to a 56-year-old Asian female. Progressive iron overload occurred over a 2 year follow up as assessed by liver biopsy and iron studies in the absence of a secondary cause of iron overload, supporting a primary role of liver rather than small intestine in the regulation of iron homeostasis in hereditary haemochromatosis.
- Transplantation of a liver with the C282Y mutation into a recipient heterozygous for H63D results in iron overload.
- Authors: Ismail MK, Martinez-Hernandez A, Schichman S, Chaudhry S, Waters B
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Correlation between genotype and phenotype in hereditary hemochromatosis: analysis of 61 cases.
- Authors: Sham RL, Ou CY, Cappuccio J, Braggins C, Dunnigan K, Phatak PD
- Issue date: 1997 Aug
- Heterozygous recipient and donor HFE mutations associated with a hereditary haemochromatosis phenotype after liver transplantation.
- Authors: Wigg AJ, Harley H, Casey G
- Issue date: 2003 Mar
- Clinical and genetic heterogeneity in hereditary haemochromatosis: association between lymphocyte counts and expression of iron overload.
- Authors: Porto G, Cardoso CS, Gordeuk V, Cruz E, Fraga J, Areias J, Oliveira JC, Bravo F, Gangaidzo IT, MacPhail AP, Gomo ZA, Moyo VM, Melo G, Silva C, Justiça B, de Sousa M
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- HLA haplotype A*03-B*07 in hemochromatosis probands with HFE C282Y homozygosity: frequency disparity in men and women and lack of association with severity of iron overload.
- Authors: Barton JC, Wiener HW, Acton RT, Go RC
- Issue date: 2005 Jan-Feb