Is it safe to prescribe clomiphene citrate without ultrasound monitoring facilities?
AffiliationMerrion Fertility Clinic, National Maternity Hospital, Dublin, Republic of Ireland. C.J.Coughlan@sheffield.ac.uk
Fertility Agents, Female
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIs it safe to prescribe clomiphene citrate without ultrasound monitoring facilities? 2010, 30 (4):393-6 J Obstet Gynaecol
JournalJournal of obstetrics and gynaecology : the journal of the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
AbstractThe majority of triplet and higher order multiple pregnancies now result from ovulation induction/superovulation rather than in vitro fertilisation. However, clomiphene citrate is still widely prescribed by gynaecologists and general practitioners who do not have access to ultrasound monitoring. The objective of our study was to determine the prevalence of multifollicular development with different doses of clomiphene citrate. A retrospective review of transvaginal ultrasound monitoring of 425 cycles in 182 women receiving clomiphene citrate from January 2002 to December 2003, was studied. Three or more follicles of >or= 14 mm were identified in 58 cycles (14%). Patients received 50 mg of clomiphene citrate in 52 of these 58 cycles and 25 mg in the remaining six. One patient was noted to have developed five follicles and 10 patients developed four follicles. One patient developed six follicles, despite receiving only 25 mg clomiphene citrate daily. It was concluded that a significant number of women (14%) developed three or more follicles, despite receiving low doses of clomiphene citrate.
- Factors influencing pregnancy rates with a combined clomiphene citrate/gonadotropin protocol for non-assisted reproductive technology fertility treatment.
- Authors: Houmard BS, Juang MP, Soules MR, Fujimoto VY
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Clomiphene citrate-induced follicular development in the presence of an ovarian ectopic pregnancy.
- Authors: Bayrak A, Fogle RH, Paulson RJ
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Strategies to reduce multiple pregnancies due to ovulation stimulation.
- Authors: Dickey RP
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Hormone patterns after induction of ovulation with clomiphene citrate: an age-related phenomenon.
- Authors: van Zonneveld P, Scheffer G, Koppeschaar HP, Fauser BC, Broekmans FJ, te Velde ER
- Issue date: 1999 Aug
- Clomiphene citrate or letrozole for ovulation induction in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome: a prospective randomized trial.
- Authors: Badawy A, Abdel Aal I, Abulatta M
- Issue date: 2009 Sep