AffiliationUCD Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Medicine and Medical Science, University College Dublin, National Maternity Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Body Mass Index
European Continental Ancestry Group
Maternal Nutritional Physiological Phenomena
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInsufficient vitamin D intakes among pregnant women. 2011, 65 (9):1076-8 Eur J Clin Nutr
JournalEuropean journal of clinical nutrition
AbstractVitamin D has an important role in pregnancy in promoting fetal skeletal health. Maternal dietary intake is a key factor influencing both maternal and fetal status. There are limited data available on food groups contributing to vitamin D intake in pregnancy. The aim of this study was to determine dietary intakes of vitamin D throughout pregnancy in 64 women and to determine the main food groups contributing to vitamin D intake. Results showed that median dietary intakes of vitamin D ranged from 1.9-2.1 μg/d during pregnancy, and were 80% below the current recommendation. The principal food groups contributing to vitamin D intake were meat, egg and breakfast cereal groups. Oily fish, the best dietary source of vitamin D, was consumed by <25% of women. These data call for more education; they question the role of vitamin D supplementation and highlight the contribution of other food groups more frequently consumed, namely, breakfast cereals, meat and eggs.
- Dietary sources and sociodemographic and economic factors affecting vitamin D and calcium intakes in Flemish preschoolers.
- Authors: Huybrechts I, Lin Y, De Keyzer W, Sioen I, Mouratidou T, Moreno LA, Slimani N, Jenab M, Vandevijvere S, De Backer G, De Henauw S
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- The importance of beta-carotene as a source of vitamin A with special regard to pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Authors: Strobel M, Tinz J, Biesalski HK
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- The role of fortified foods and nutritional supplements in increasing vitamin D intake in Irish preschool children.
- Authors: Hennessy Á, Browne F, Kiely M, Walton J, Flynn A
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Vitamin D intake in Australian adults and the modeled effects of milk and breakfast cereal fortification.
- Authors: Jayaratne N, Hughes MC, Ibiebele TI, van den Akker S, van der Pols JC
- Issue date: 2013 Jul-Aug
- Vitamin D intakes in 18-64-y-old Irish adults.
- Authors: Hill TR, O'brien MM, Cashman KD, Flynn A, Kiely M
- Issue date: 2004 Nov